Risser takes title of longest serving lawmaker in U.S.

First elected in 1956, state Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, became the longest-serving state lawmaker in the country this month. At age 79, Risser has become a respected leader in the Legislature, and the senator said he has no plans to quit yet. 

State Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said Risser is highly regarded among his colleagues.  

""[Risser is] looked to because he has a long history,"" Black said. ""He remembers that things tend to repeat themselves, and a lot of people look to him for his memories of what might have happened in years past."" 

Born and raised in Madison, Risser is the fourth generation of his family to work in the Wisconsin Legislature but is the first Democrat. His family's involvement in Madison politics dates back to the Civil War. 

Risser said he always knew politics would be his calling.  

""I really respected my parents and my ancestors, and I was born with the understanding I would follow in their footsteps,"" he said.  

Growing up in a political family, Risser said he learned to appreciate political office.  

""It was a real honor to be selected, if you were selected,"" he said. ""I've always felt my job was to assist people needing help."" 

After service in the Navy as a World War II medic, Risser attended the University of Oregon. Though initially unsure about returning to Madison, he came back to take the bar exam.  

""And then I fell in love, got married and got into politics,"" he said, laughing. 

Risser is also a part-time attorney. He said his law office helps him meet and socialize with people outside of the political arena.  

Risser said his ""social conscience"" is what motivates him on issues such as the environment, women's rights and funding the UW System. 

""People will come and go, but the environment is here for a lot longer,"" Risser said. He said environmental conservation is considered more serious now than when he began his career. 

A self-described active bike rider, skier and gardener, Risser said he personally enjoys the Wisconsin State Park system.  

As an avid traveler, Risser has visited many parts of the world. Though he described his trips as ""educational, exciting and interesting,"" Risser still said, ""I think Madison is the greatest place in the world to live.""  

He said the people and setting are what set Madison apart.  

""The UW is a stimulating community ... there's a fairly progressive government and social consciousness here,"" Risser said. ""I even like the weather."" 

Having been re-elected as the president of the state Senate, Risser will preside over senate sessions and have an active role in scheduling bills. Black said he anticipates Risser's leadership will be especially needed during the current legislative session because many senators have not been in office during a Democratic majority. 

Health care, ethics reform and smoking legislation are the issues Risser will focus on now in the state Senate. As for the future, ""I'm in good health, and I haven't any interest in retiring,"" he said.