Young bench giving Badgers added depth

After a solid two games played at home this past weekend, the Wisconsin women's basketball team must prepare for its next battle against the University of Illinois-Chicago Thursday night at the Kohl Center. 

The Badgers (8-1) hope to strengthen their impressive record and continue to build on the best start four-year head coach Lisa Stone has overseen, as they have not yet been defeated at home. Illinois-Chicago (3-4) will be coming into the game with anticipation of ending its current three-game losing streak.  

Wisconsin has shown strength from both the starting line-up and from players off the bench. Junior Jolene Anderson has a team high scoring average of 16.7 points per game. Below her is junior Janese Banks with an average of 13.7 points, followed by junior Danielle Ward and sophomore Caitlin Gibson, each scoring approximately eight points per game. Next on the list are freshmen Mariah Dunham and Teah Gant with 7.6 and 5.6 points per game, both coming off the bench and contributing more as the season progresses. 

""Right now I think we have a pretty solid rotation of nine, just looking over minutes played over the last few games,"" said Stone in press conference Monday. ""I like the fact that we're bringing kids along and things are going well for us. And, you know, the wheel's not flat yet, so why fix it?"" 

Seniors LaShonda Grant, Krystal Hugelier and Jacquay Holmes are the scoring threats for the Flames, each averaging in low double-digit figures. Outside of the three seniors, however, there have been no other major scoring contributors to the Illinois-Chicago squad. If Wisconsin is able to slow down the experienced threesome of the Flame's starting lineup, there is a good chance the Badgers can walk away with yet another win.