UW keeps grades under wraps

Though many students scramble to bring home ‘A's, they might not have to worry about their not-so-good grades spoiling the holidays. Under an act, parents are forbidden access to a student's grades unless the student authorizes it in writing. 

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, passed in 1974, grants universities the right to give parents access to academic records if students are listed as dependents on tax forms. But UW-Madison Assistant Registrar Catherine Sheskey said UW-Madison, along with the majority of universities, chooses not to allow parents access even if their students are legal dependents. With a few exceptions, third parties, including parents and employers, may not obtain access to certain academic records without the written consent of the student. 

Sheskey, who oversees customer service, said she frequently receives calls from parents requesting grades, but denies them information unless the student has signed a release, which she estimated to be less than five percent of students. 

""Usually the parents that call us might have tried to get it through their son or daughter directly and got shot down and then try to go through the school. Other ones just assume that they're able to have access because they're paying tuition."" 

Despite denied access, Sheskey said, ""The bottom line is FERPA is very important to the university ... and so we honor it."" 

Many students say financial assistance from parents makes them feel obligated to share their grades. 

""As a parent I would be mad if I were paying for college and my student wouldn't tell me,"" said Kala Grove, UW-Madison sophomore. 

Another sophomore, Anna Carlson, said the fact that her parents are helping to fund her tuition compels her to work harder academically. 

""I feel like I have to do better because they're funding my education,"" Carlson said. ""I don't want the thousands of dollars they pay to go to waste.""  

Sheskey said that many students tell their parents their grades verbally, without working through the office of the registrar.  

Kathleen Kruk, mother of a UW-Madison freshman Eric Kruk, said although she expects her son to share his grades, it is important that students retain the ability to manage their own academics. 

""I think most parents would feel that if they're paying for it they should see what they're getting for their money,"" said Ms. Kruk. ""At the same time, I want my children to learn how to be adults."" 

Although her son said he does share his grades, Ms. Kruk said she never shared grades with her mother. 

Bethany Kitzman, a UW-Madison sophomore, said she regularly tells her parents her grades, but said she ""would feel more inclined not to tell them"" if her GPA were lower.  

Kitzman mentioned that a dispute occurred when her parents sought her brother's grades at the private college he was attending. She said he declined to tell his parents his grades and the school refused to release them upon inquiry. 

Although Sheskey said parents were introduced to FERPA at SOAR, none of the students interviewed were aware the actual act existed. 

The office of the registrar is trying to educate students about FERPA so they do not share more information than they need to, Shesky said.  

""FERPA is for their benefit,"" she added.  

To get around some of FERPA's protections, students also have the option of sending a copy of their grades home via mail through the online MyUW student center.