Big man does the little things for UW

With big name players like seniors Alando Tucker and Kammron Taylor leading Wisconsin in scoring, averaging 19.1 and 12.6 points per game, it's sometimes easy to overlook the other players wearing the cardinal and white jerseys. 

There is no ""I"" in ""TEAM."" There is, however, an inside job that must be done in the post and Jason Chappell is doing it for the Badgers. The 6'10\ senior center from New Berlin, Wis., is having a solid season, playing a role that is as big as he is. Chappell may not fill up the stat sheet, but his hard work on the court does not go unnoticed by his team or his opponents. 

""[Chappell] has got the chance and he's taking advantage of it by doing everything and the little things the coaches ask of him,"" Tucker said. ""He does all the little things that keep us in the game."" 

Growing up, Chappell always knew the game of basketball would be important to him. He attempted to follow in the footsteps of his father Len, a nine-year NBA player and an All-American at Wake Forest. On his journey through his basketball career, the younger Chappell has begun to create his own path by putting the spotlight on his teammates and capitalizing defensively. 

""I'm just trying to do all the things other than scoring that the team needs,"" Chappell said. ""Whether it's defense, rebounding, getting people that are open the ball ... whatever I can do to help out the team.""  

With so many dominant post players on opposing teams this season, Chappell serves as a major piece to Wisconsin's defensive puzzle. His job is to defend the largest threat on the court by using his experience, athleticism and height to pester all elements of opponents' inside games.  

""[He] is a huge presence defensively,"" assistant coach Howard Moore said. ""Most times he is guarding the other team's best post player. As far as having an understanding of what we are doing defensively in different areas, Jason really has a good grasp of that."" 

Posting 16 defensive rebounds on the season, Chappell has also collected eight offensive boards. He is averaging 3.8 points per game, and has already contributed 14 assists to his teammates. 

""[Chappell] is just ready to give his 15 to 20 minutes every night of good solid play,"" Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said. ""If the offensive opportunities are there, he's taken advantage of them, and if they're not, he doesn't force it. Those are good players to have.  

With the return of junior Greg Stiemsma and sophomore Marcus Landry, Chappell's minutes have decreased slightly from a year ago. Nevertheless, Ryan has seen a marked improvement in his starting center's play. 

""His passing is better this year, he's a better player this year,"" Ryan said. 

Other Wisconsin players feed off Chappell's intense drive for improvement, allowing the team to continuously get better.  

""Chap has that passion and desire just to be on the court,"" Tucker said. ""He worked hard every year. He kept working, and kept working. I saw him put in the time here when nobody would be in the gym."" 

Not all leaders need to be extremely vocal, nor do all voices need to be loud in order to be heard on the basketball court. Sometimes all it takes is hustle to spark a team, especially early in the game. 

""Everyone respects when [he] does have something to say because when he comes out and he says something, he means it and it's serious,"" Tucker said. ""Chappell is a shy guy. He doesn't talk as much, but he works hard. He is a silent leader, and his actions on the court speak for him."" 

Wisconsin (7-1) will need Chappell's leadership to help them secure a victory against Winthrop (6-2) Monday evening at the Kohl Center. Not all teams have unselfish players like Chappell, and he truly is a unique player for the Badgers again this season. 

""[Jason] is the type of guy who leads by example first of all, has a good work ethic, and his teammates follow him,"" Moore said. ""He is not going to tear up the stat sheet, but he does all the little things that a team needs. He's a glue guy and as a glue guy, he does all those little things to keep everything together, and that's the best way to sum up Jason Chappell.""