Women’s hockey sweeps Bemidji State on road

Twenty-six games removed from a February loss to Minnesota, the Wisconsin women's hockey team (11-0-1 WCHA, 13-0-1 overall) continues to be unbeaten. This weekend, it traveled to Bemidji State, downing the Beavers 6-2 and 4-2.  

Freshman forward Meghan Duggan scored four goals and an assist over the two games and sophomore forward Erika Lawler notched four assists on the weekend. Their linemate, sophomore forward Angie Keseley also had four points.  

Saturday afternoon, Wisconsin saw the return of sophomore forward Tia Hanson who had been injured all season. Hanson was vital in the Badgers' championship run last season and came back with a bang, scoring a goal in her first game back.  

In the first game, Duggan put Wisconsin on the board 58 seconds into the first period, knocking a rebound past Bemidji State goalie Emily Brookshaw (39 saves). 

Keseley beat Brookshaw later in the first period to give Wisconsin a two-goal lead. 

After Kate Robinson scored on senior UW goalie Christine Dufour with a minute into the second period, Duggan and senior forward Sara Bauer scored 2:03 apart to give Wisconsin a 4-1 advantage. 

Hanson scored three minutes into the third period and freshman forward Kyla Sanders recorded her sixth goal of the season to round out the scoring in the 6-2 victory. 

Dufour faced 19 shots and made 17 saves, improving her record to 5-0-0 on the season. 

On Sunday, Duggan scored her ninth and 10th goals of the season as the Badgers completed the sweep of Bemidji State, winning the second game 4-2.  

Senior captain and defenseman Bobbi-Jo Slusar scored the first of Wisconsin's four goals six minutes into the game on assists from senior forward Heidi Klutzien and sophomore forward Kayla Hagen. 

Duggan scored her ninth goal later in the first period on the power play, taking a rebound off a Keseley shot and beating Brookshaw.  

Senior defender Meaghan Mikkelson continued Wisconsin's season-long success on the power play in the second period, scoring from the high slot and giving the Badgers a 3-0 lead. 

Duggan scored her 10th goal of the season in the third period, one-timing a Lawler pass into the back of the net. 

Haley Balcom and Robinson scored goals for the Beavers, who dropped to 3-8-1 overall after the two games. 

Sophomore Jessie Vetter made 13 saves in the two goal victory, as she improved to 8-0-1 on the season. 

Wisconsin hosts WCHA second place team Minnesota-Duluth Friday and Saturday at the Kohl Center, with both games beginning at 2:07 p.m. 

—uwbadgers.com 

contributed to this report.