UW to graduate dedicated, memorable class

Saturday's Badger game against Buffalo is bittersweet. Wisconsin fans have to say goodbye to their veteran players, but at the same time they can remember the accomplishments UW's seniors reached and the contributions they made both on and off the field.  

This year's list of notable graduates other than Joe Thomas includes a stellar leader at quarterback, a punishing mohawk-donning linebacker, and a feisty undersized free safety.  

Good luck seniors, and thanks for the memories. 

John Stocco 

Stocco, a fifth-year senior from Richfield, Minn., returned as starting quarterback for the third straight season, leading the Wisconsin offense to incredible output while putting himself in elite historical company.  

After a redshirted freshman year in 2002, Stocco had his first three appearances in big-time situations against ranked Michigan State and Iowa, and against Auburn in the Music City Bowl. In 2004, Stocco made the full-time starter and finished with 1,999 yards passing and 13 touchdowns. It was clear that Stocco an up-and-coming star in the Badger offense, but 2005 exceeded all expectations.  

Stocco set school records for a season in 2005 with 2,920 passing yards, 21 TD passes, 197 pass completions and 2,888 total offensive yards. Also, Stocco's clutch play spoke for itself. He scored the winning touchdown on a four-yard rush against Michigan and threw for 301 yards and two touchdowns in Wisconsin's remarkable Capital One Bowl victory over Auburn.  

This season has been another successful one for Stocco. He was named Honorable Mention Preseason All-American by Street and Smith's Annuals. Up to this point, he has thrown for 1,979 yards with 15 touchdowns, 144 completions with a 61.5 percentage and only four interceptions. 

Before last weekend's absence against Iowa, Stocco had started in 35 straight games; only Notre Dame's Brady Quinn and Florida's Chris Leak had started in more consecutive games among active players. He has a 28-7 record as a starter for a .800 winning percentage. Stocco ranks fourth on Wisconsin's all-time career list in total offense (6,938 yards) and second in touchdowns (45), pass attempts (900) and completions (520). There is no doubt Stocco will one day find his number retired in the rafters of Camp Randall with the lasting records and impressions he has created in his eventful Badger career. 

Dywon Rowan 

Rowan, a fifth year senior from Erie, Penn., and brother to former UW defensive back Levonne Rowan, joined the UW football team in 2004 as a walk-on but did not record any playing time. In 2005 Rowan earned his first varsity letter after appearing in six games, scoring his first career touchdown in a game against Temple. Not only did he run the ball, but he helped the team out on special teams as he returned seven kickoffs for 69 yards.  

Now in his senior season, Dywon has handled the emergence of freshman running back P.J. Hill very well, accepting his role as a back-up running back. Dywon has seen action in all 11 games this season and has an average of 4.6 yards per carry, ranking second among UW running backs. Rowan also pitched in by making six receptions for 49 yards so far this season, and in total has found the end zone twice. Rowan has surely helped the younger UW backs develop their games, and with his guidance those backs will be sure to excel in the future.  

Joe Stellmacher 

Stellmacher, a fifth-year senior from Berlin, Wis., started out his career with a redshirted freshman season. The following season, Stellmacher made his presence felt as he played in five games before going down with a season ending injury against Illinois. As a redshirt sophomore, Stellmacher earned his second varsity letter as a reserve defensive back and special teams' contributor. He was also a member of the academic all Big Ten team that same season.  

Following the graduation of former UW safety Jim Leonhard, Stellmacher stepped in and took the throne. Last season, Stellmacher was named to the honorable mention all Big Ten team and also earned UW's Tom Wisener Award which goes to a Wisconsin-born player displaying loyalty, hard work, spirit and dedication. Joe played in all twelve games last season and finished second on the team with 90 tackles and notched his first career interception at Illinois.  

This season, Stellmacher has played to his capability, starting in 11 games so far. He is tied for the team lead in tackles with fellow senior defensive partner Mark Zalewski with 76. He has intercepted two passes and took one back for his first career touchdown against Northwestern. Joe will receive his fourth varsity letter before he leaves a defense that he has helped shape over that past five years.  

Mark Zalewski 

Zalewski, a fifth-year senior linebacker from Wausau was team captain for the second straight season and has led the Badgers to an incredible defensive season. After a redshirted freshman year, Zalewski played 12 games as a reserve linebacker and has since started 47 straight games. In his third season, he was fifth on the team with 55 tackles and fourth on the team with 3.5 sacks. In his fourth season, he led the team with 12.5 tackles for loss (good for fifth-most in the Big Ten) and was third on the team with 83 tackles. Most importantly, Zalewski is clutch, as demonstrated by his six tackles in last year's Capital One Bowl victory and his team-high 11 tackles in a victory over Michigan. This season, Zalewski is tied for the team lead with 76 tackles and tied for second on the team with two interceptions. Zalewski will finish his career with over 222 tackles, most among active Badger players. 

Despite his impressive statistics, Zalewski's most important contribution was the leadership he has brought to the Badgers, a role he welcomed with open arms, even as a young sophomore. Zalewski and fellow senior captain Joel Stellmacher have set the tone for a tough defense that promises to benefit from their experience in the future. 

Roderick Rodgers 

Rogers, a senior from Stone Mountain, Ga., earned his first varsity letter as a true freshman as he saw action as a reserve defensive back and on the special teams unit. He received his second varsity letter as a sophomore after appearing in 10 games in the same roles. Last season was Roger's breakout year as he was selected to the second all-Big Ten team and started all 13 games at free safety. He finished that campaign with 56 tackles and a team-high three interceptions, including one that he returned 84 yards for a touchdown at home against Purdue. Rogers ranked fourth in the Big Ten with an average of 1.08 passes defended per game and earned his third varsity letter.  

Coming into this season, Rogers found himself on the 2006 watch list for the Lott Trophy and was ranked as high as the sixth best safety in the nation by The Sporting News. He has lived up to those billings as he has recorded two interceptions and seven pass breakups. He also ranks sixth on the team in tackles with 33 total, 24 of which have been solo. With only two games remaining in his senior season at UW, look for Rogers to make a push for all-Big Ten honors for the second year in a row. With both Rogers and Stellmacher leaving after this season, next year's safeties will provide fresh faces for the Badger faithful, however they should perform well as they have learned from a couple of the better safeties that have come through the UW system.  

Zach Hampton 

Hampton, a fifth-year senior defensive back from Lancaster was the team's primary punt returner this season. Hampton did not truly emerge to his potential until last season, when he played all 13 games as a special team standout and reserve defensive back. He recorded 23 tackles and also returned 10 kicks for 170 yards. This season he recorded 11 tackles with two passes broken up and a fumble recovery. Hampton dealt with the pressure as primary punt returner, returning punts for 165 yards on the ground with an average of 15 yards per game.  

Hampton also showed an ability to adapt to different situations when he made a smooth transition from free safety to defensive back in order to accommodate the needs of the team. Hampton also excelled in multiple aspects of special teams: He was a kick returner, punt returner and kicking team defender in his career at UW. 

Joe Monty 

Monty, a fifth-year senior defensive lineman from Fort Collins, Colo., anchored an impressive squad of UW defensive lineman this season. Monty joined the Wisconsin Badgers in January 2003 and quickly received playing time, with 12 of 13 appearances as a reserve defensive lineman while winning academic All-Big Ten honors. In 2004, Monty played in all 12 of Wisconsin's games starting twice and earning a co-defensive player of the week award against Minnesota.  

Last season, Monty played in all 13 Wisconsin games and started in the team's last 12. He recorded 30 tackles and was tied for second in sacks with 3.5, while forcing a fumble and recovering two others. It is evident Monty has always been a great teammate, and in 2005 he was commended by winning the Jay Seiler Coaches' Appreciation Award. This season, Monty has shown his true experience by collecting 22 tackles good for third best among UW's defensive lineman—along with three quarterback hits and one fumble recovery.