SEC loaded with nation's premiere teams

The second week of the college basketball season is underway, and some top teams have already jumped out to quick starts. Top-ranked Florida looked strong with a dominant victory over Samford, in which four players reached double figures. Both Connecticut and Texas, teams that were expected to have huge drops in production this year, have shown few weaknesses in their first non-conference games. Here's a look at the nation's top five conferences, excluding the Big Ten, and their legitimate contenders for the upcoming season:  

1. Southeastern Conference  

The SEC contains two top-five teams (Florida and Louisiana State) that both made Final Four appearances last season, along with another strong squad in Alabama. While the SEC lost several key players to the NBA last year, the conference also had many potential suitors who chose not to enter the draft, making for a competitive season.  

Florida, the defending national champion, remains the team to beat with all returning starters and an NBA-ready frontcourt.  

LSU's Glen ""Big Baby"" Davis was conference player of the year last season, but the play of versatile forward Tasmin Mitchell and red-shirt junior guard Tack Minor could be crucial to the Tigers' success.  

Alabama has the two assets that every winning team needs: a dependable point guard in junior Ronald Steele and a dominant post presence in senior center Jermareo Davidson. Both averaged 14.3 points per game last season. 

2. Atlantic Coast Conference 

One of the most storied rivalries in college basketball continues in the ACC with Duke and North Carolina, but Boston College also has tremendous potential.  

Still only a sophomore, UNC center Tyler Hansbrough is one of the best players in the country, and his rare athleticism will allow Coach Roy Williams to fully execute the Tarheels' fastbreak offense.  

As always, the Duke Blue Devils have a great deal of talent, including sophomore center Josh McRoberts, but Duke knows that its two freshmen starters and two injury-prone starters need to stay dependable. 

Boston College's grit and experience give them an advantage over many other ACC competitors. 

3. Big East Conference 

The Big East has seen structural changes over the last few years but has always maintained a competitive balance, with four teams in the top 20 so far this year. This 16-team conference is so huge that not every team plays one another during the season. 

The Pittsburgh Panthers are due for a breakout season, with senior center Aaron Gray continuing to elevate his game and junior point guard Ronald Ramon looking to pick up the scoring load from the departed Carl Krause. 

After a surprising Sweet 16 appearance last season, the Georgetown Hoyas have as good a chance as ever to make themselves contenders with three experienced juniors but an inexperienced bench.  

The Connecticut Huskies lost four first-round draft picks to the NBA but also have one of their deepest recruiting classes ever, and it will need to mature quickly in order for the Huskies to become contenders. 

4. Pac-10 Conference 

Although the Pac-10 may not have the same historical significance as several other conferences, they have produced many exciting teams to watch in the last few years. This year is no different, with three teams in the top 20.  

Despite losing key point guard Jordan Farmar following an NCAA finals appearance, UCLA feels Darren Collison could be a capable replacement. He will team with sophomore forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute's constantly evolving game in forming a one-two scoring punch for the Bruins. 

The Arizona Wildcats return four starters and plenty of experience, but their rebounding and defensive intensity are still in question this season. 

The Washington Huskies bring one of the best recruiting classes in the nation to the table and hope many of their freshmen will have an immediate impact.