Ogg Hall, other dorms cope with loss of UW freshman

Residents of Ogg Hall mourned the loss of the 19-year-old UW-Madison freshman who fell to his death off the Frances Street parking structure across from Witte Residence Hall Tuesday afternoon.  

The student lived on the second floor of Ogg's West tower. His hometown was Glenview, Ill., where he attended Glenbrook South High School. Police have not yet publicly disclosed the student's name.  

Tommy Mulhaney, a freshman who lives on the same floor as the student, described how the floor is coping with the loss. Mulhaney said the floor seemed depressed on Wednesday, the day after the death.  

""There is a subdued type of feeling today,"" Mulhaney said. ""It wasn't the usual, upbeat way of the floor."" 

In response to the tragedy, Ogg Hall housing staff sent out an e-mail to all residents.  

The e-mail read, ""Our Housing staff and UHS staff are here for any support questions, and help that you may need to cope with a loss like this and the wide range of feelings that death can trigger in all of us."" 

Besides the e-mail, the floor also held a special meeting to discuss what happened. Residents were told what happened and why there were police officers on the floor Tuesday afternoon.  

At the meeting, University Health Services representatives talked to second floor Ogg West tower residents to tell residents that UHS has people who can help students in need. The UHS has free counselors available to help students in multiple ways.  

UHS Counseling Services will be available for Ogg residents from Thursday 10 a.m. to noon and 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., and Friday 10 a.m. to noon. UHS stresses if those hours do not work to call for an appointment: (608) 265-5600 or visit their website at www.uhs.wisc.edu.