Langdon Street patrol plan worthy of praise

As increasing late-night violence threatens the safety of UW-Madison students, the Madison Police Department is joining forces with a number of fraternities to provide more resources to help students avoid danger. 

The UW Greek system, often relied on as a primary instigator of the party scene, is now changing its reputation to become a safety regulator amid the post-party scene. Every weekend night, fraternity members plan to patrol the Langdon Street area to make the efforts of Madison police more effective. 

For fraternity members, involvement in the program is considered an inherent responsibility owed to the student community.  

Alex Sheridan, president of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity, said, ""As members of a Greek community where our houses line Langdon Street, we feel it is our obligation to do everything in our power to keep the neighborhood as safe as possible."" 

Considering this particular street hosts a significant number of weekend house parties and is also highly traveled by homebound party-goers, the incorporation of volunteers identifiable by flashlights and arm bands will present much needed awareness among students.  

While the fraternities plan to interact with students by providing helpful resources and contact information, the increased presence of watchful eyes is in itself a deterrent to violence.  

Though the Greek members involved in the program are not obligated to escort students home, they are encouraged to do so if necessary or preferred by the student.  

For some students who believe resorting to SAFEride or SAFEwalk carries an embarrassing stigma, using a fraternity escort might be a more favorable option and in turn, might lead to the protection of more residents. 

For students who have indifferent attitudes toward personal safety, fraternity members will not use invasive methods to provide service. However, it seems likely that witnessing UW Greek members on patrol will motivate passive students to heighten their own personal precaution. 

It should also be noted that the new manner of patrol is not meant to replace the presence of officers in the vicinity but will serve as an additional method of communication that will more effectively alert officers to a trouble area.  

If officers are located in another section of the neighborhood, the fraternities are provided with the direct number to call in reports of violent or suspicious behavior.  

The system will allow the MPD to be more attentive to a number of campus locations simultaneously and to take a more proactive approach to preventing crime. 

Beyond providing an ever-present party atmosphere, fraternities are extending their hospitality to ensure that guests and other students in the area return home safely.  

Though the primary purpose of this program is to ensure safety of students, the watch may serve as a way to bridge the gap between Greek and non-Greek students.  

After all, as these fellow students volunteer their time to act as guardians, students would be wrong to be anything but thankful.