Keep dirty politics out of precincts

Mingled with crumpled newspapers, neon propaganda leaflets will presumably litter lecture halls this election day.  

Though UW-Madison policy and Wisconsin statute prohibit political literature drops on public property (excepting a few conditions), the College Democrats and other political groups have snubbed their noses to leafleting rules. These young politicians seem to place a premium on votes rather than clean campaigning.  

Eli Lewien, chair of the College Democrats, told The Daily Cardinal, ""As long as other groups continue to lit drop, I don't see why we should need to stop.""  

This comment reflects a sad state of affairs wherein young politicians play dirty before they enter the true political area. On a larger scale, the indifference to policy and endless blame shifting captures the essence of today's election—l'eau de dirty politics. 

Television advertisements broadcast by Republican opponents make Democratic incumbents Gov. Jim Doyle and U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, look like they are in the pocket of the child molester lobby. Attorney general candidate Kathleen Falk apparently loves criminals.  

If you missed these hyperbolic TV spots, tune in to any local network and enjoy a few before the polls close. Just don't cast your vote based on the claims. 

In this menacing campaign climate, it may seem worthwhile to advise voters to carry a fistful of mud to the polls. But instead, we advise voters to shed their cynicism before casting ballots.  

And to the politicians and lobbies with stakes in this election: Please get the mudslinging out of your systems, because it's a long wait until 2008.