Dem wave in Congress

In 2004, after receiving 51 percent of the vote, President Bush ran wild and declared a mandate. Tuesday, the American people spoke and repudiated that mandate, spanking Bush back into reality. 

The prediction of a Democratic wave proved to be true as it took back the House in startling numbers. As of press time, it also looks as though Democrats will reclaim the Senate, proving the 2006 midterm elections truly became a referendum on the president. 

According to CNN.com exit polls, 62 percent of voters said that national issues mattered more than local issues this year. 

Angry voters made their voices heard, shouting from the polls their extreme displeasure with the war in Iraq, the handling of the war on terrorism and corruption.  

The results show Americans are sick of one-party rule and wish to restore the system of checks and balances on which the U.S. Constitution was founded. 

Democrats, swept into power in the House, and maybe the Senate, by complaining and promising change, must now prove they deserve their new position of legislative clout. The do-nothing Congress must finally do something, and we believe they will.  

U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., promised to drain the GOP ""swamp"" in her first 100 hours as speaker of the House. She plans to introduce legislation to decrease the influence of lobbyists, enact all of the recommendations from the 9/11 Commission, raise the minimum wage, cut interest rates on student loans, lower prescription drug prices and help advance federal funding of stem cell research. 

Most importantly, Democrats must introduce plans for the war in Iraq. We cannot remain stuck in the quagmire that is Iraq, but we also cannot withdraw all troops immediately. We need to draw up some type of exit strategy that will keep the peace and get us out of there. After years of claiming they can do better, the onus is on Democrats. 

One thing is for certain: Congress has put down the rubber stamp and the American people are better off for it.