Courtside writers weigh in on Big Ten season

It seems everybody has an opinion these days on how the college basketball season will shake out, so we figured we should as well. We polled 11 Daily Cardinal and Courtside writers, asking them to rank all 11 Big Ten teams. First place votes were worth 11 points, and last place votes were worth one. Here is how it turned out. 

1. UW (8 first-place votes), 118 points 

The No. 7 Badgers return four starters and approximately 90 percent of their scoring and rebounding from a year ago. Senior forward Alando Tucker and senior guard Kammron Taylor are the unquestioned leaders, but this is a deep Badger team. Wisconsin's experience could be what separates it from the pack. 

2. Ohio State (3), 113 

The No. 3 Buckeyes are the popular pick to win the conference, but they may not have enough experience to come out on top this year. They will rely on a number of ultra-talented freshman, but there is something to be said for big-game experience, especially in the Big Ten. Freshman center Greg Oden is out with a wrist injury, but he is expected to be back for the Big Ten season starting in January. 

3. Illinois, 89 

The Illini were hit hard by the graduation of Dee Brown and Matt Augustine, but they return several talented players capable of stepping up this season. Sophomore guard Jamar Smith, already a threat from the outside, will look to emerge as an all-around scorer this season. The Illini won't be nearly as good as in years past, but they're close to impossible to beat at home, which should have them near the top once again. 

4. Michigan State, 77 

This fourth-place projection came as a bit of surprise, considering the Spartans aren't garnering that kind of respect anywhere else. They lost a ton of talent from last season, and if their highly-rated recruiting class doesn't come up big, the Spartans might not be anywhere near fourth. Still, they've jumped out to a 6-1 start, and like Illinois, their home-court advantage undoubtedly gave them a boost in our poll. 

5. Michigan, 74 

This could finally be the year the Wolverines reach the NCAA tournament. They lost star guard Daniel Horton, but senior guard Dion Harris should step up and lead the team this year. Senior forward Lester Abram will also be a key scoring contributor, and senior center Courtney Simms will have to improve inside for the Wolverines to make an impact on the Big Ten this season. If the team doesn't perform, coach Tommy Amaker could be out of a job. 

6. Indiana, 70 

The Hoosiers have been picked by many to finish as high as third in the Big Ten, but our writers weren't feeling so generous. Indiana lost its top two scorers from last year, but it returns senior point guard Earl Calloway, who came on strong late last season. The Hoosiers also brought in a boatload of talented junior college players, including All-Americans Mike White and Lance Stemler, who should have an immediate impact in the frontcourt. Indiana should be a contender in the conference under first year coach Kelvin Sampson. 

7. Purdue, 63 

The Boilermakers didn't get a lot of respect in our poll, but they could be a sleeper if things fall their way. Purdue suffered last season as their top two players, Carl Landry and David Teague, both sat out with torn ACLs. However, the pair is back in the mix this season, as is explosive point guard Terrance Crump, who sat out much of last season with a suspension. Purdue could find itself near the top of the standings if these players live up to their potential. 

8. Penn State, 43 

The Nittany Lions are expected by many to have a breakout season this year, but our writers just don't see it that way. Junior forward Geary Claxton, who should emerge as one of the top players in the conference, will likely lead the Lions to their best season in years, but we just don't see them finishing ahead of some of these other Big Ten teams, especially after losing to Stony Brook. Look for the Lions to improve on their .500 record from a year ago and head to the NIT. 

9. Iowa, 42 

Iowa lost starters Jeff Horner, Greg Brunner and Erek Hansen from last season, and should struggle to replace them. Guard Adam Haluska could emerge as one of the better guards in the conference, but he probably won't have that much help. 

10. Minnesota, 24 

The Gophers have been consistent underachievers under coach Dan Monson. At least this season, it will be tough for them to underachieve, but pretty much everybody expects them to be terrible. They lost all five starters from a year ago, including forward Vincent Grier. 

11. Northwestern, 13 

Just when the Wildcats were starting to show improvement, they lost everybody of any significance. Leading scorer Vedran Vukusic is gone, and the Wildcats don't return a single player who averaged better than eight points per game last season.