Call home for votes

They say hindsight is 20/20, but there may be no looking back on the Nov. 7 election for baby boomers whose political vision ages along with eyesight.  

From the perspective of this board, the generation of ""millennials"" eligible to vote next Tuesday—including nearly all UW-Madison students—face a dual civic responsibility.  

Not only must students get out and vote, they must also discuss the election with parents to ensure that decisions made today stand the test of time. 

According to the most recent Pew Research Center study on gay marriage and public opinion, survey respondents aged 65 and over expressed opposition to gay marriage by 69 to 20 percent compared to 18 to 29 year-olds who favored gay marriage by 52 to 42 percent. 

The younger group also took a more progressive stance toward stem cell research. Students should discuss the gay marriage amendment, stem cell research issue and death penalty referendum with parents before the election. Their influence could prevent Wisconsin from codifying unjust or inhumane legislation and electing a state leader opposed to important research.  

Students may even find they have something to learn from seasoned voters. 

So, instead of phoning for money in the five days before the election, we urge students to dial up their parents and fight for the future of Wisconsin's political landscape.  

Using foresight regarding the importance of the Nov. 7 election, students may ensure that, in hindsight, Wisconsin has 20/20 political vision.