Badgers win third straight

The Wisconsin women's basketball team (3-0 overall) made winning look easy as they toppled Central Connecticut State University 75-45 at the Kohl Center Friday evening. 

Teamwork greatly contributed to the Wisconsin victory as five players scored in double digits and two others finished with nine points.  

""We moved the ball really well ... we set really good screens, had good ball reversals, we had some good looks inside,"" head coach Lisa Stone said. 

The Badgers shot just under 50 percent from the field and a remarkable 93.4 percent from the charity stripe while forcing the Blue Devils to a shooting percentage of 34.6. Wisconsin also committed a season-low 13 turnovers and forced CCSU into 23 offensive errors. 

Sophomore forward Caitlin Gibson had a team-high 12 points, followed by junior Jolene Anderson with 11 points and eight rebounds. Mariah Dunham, a freshman forward, also came down with eight rebounds and scored 10 points along with freshman teammate Teah Gant and junior Danielle Ward.  

Juniors Janese Banks and Ivana Mijalcevic each added nine points to the Badgers' score.  

CCSU was led by senior guard Brittney Dixon who scored 12 points. All other Blue Devils were held under eight points. 

Teamwork and unity have been major factors in the Badgers' explosiveness on the court this season unlike years past.  

""It is definitely the best I've seen since I've been here,"" Anderson said. ""Our team is a lot closer off the court than we have been the past three years, and that just carries onto the court with us."" 

""We encourage each other ... and we keep focus on the good things and not the bad things,"" Ward added. ""With that, the chemistry just comes to play."" 

Wisconsin jumped ahead of CCSU early in the first period, making clean passes and looking for the best shot possible, allowing them to head into halftime with a 37â_17 lead. The Badgers were in the lane all night, scoring 32 points from inside the paint and the remaining five points came from the free-throw line. 

Coming onto the court for the second half, the Badgers continued to carry the momentum and started extending their shooting range. The Blue Devils tried to stifle Wisconsin by applying a full court zone press, but the Badgers attacked the middle and quickly broke down CCSU's pressure by getting wide open layups downcourt on the Blue Devils' weak side. Wisconsin set the tone for the rest of the game and continued to play with intensity until time expired. 

""The kids played hard the whole game and they didn't let up. We took control, we didn't let up, and we didn't get sloppy out there,"" Stone said. 

UW-Milwaukee will travel to the Kohl Center tonight to challenge the Badgers in an in-state battle at 7p.m.