Badgers look to topple in-state foe

The cross-state men's basketball game between Wisconsin (1-0 overall, 0-0 Big Ten) and UW-Green Bay (0-1, 0-0 Horizon League) will tip off tonight at 7 p.m. at the Kohl Center with much anticipation for an exciting game.  

Wisconsin, ranked No. 9 nationally to open the season and picked to place second in the Big Ten, has its first regular season win over Mercer under its belt. Senior guard Kammron Taylor led the Badgers with 22 points, followed closely by senior forward Alando Tucker, who added 21 after picking up his game in the second half. 

Though Wisconsin's post and guard play are both strong this year, beating the Phoenix will require all the team members to be on the same page, rather than relying on just a few players. That means more players are going to have to step up and feed off each other. 

When asked what it will take to defeat UWGB, Taylor said, ""It takes a team effort to win games. I feel like we have quite a few players who can step up with the depth we have on our team."" 

Tucker agreed, saying, ""It all depends on what other teams bring to us. We attack defenses where their weaknesses are."" 

UWGB will step onto the Badgers' home court as it tries to rebound from its surprising 74-57 loss to Oakland Sunday afternoon. The Phoenix were unable to dig out of an early 18-2 deficit. Senior point guard Ryan Evanochko led the Phoenix with 21 points and sophomore guard Ryan Tillema chipped in 14, but the team's 16 turnovers were too much for the young team to overcome. 

""After any team suffers a loss, they don't want to lose two in a row,"" Tucker said. ""You're ready to play, you're ready to get back on, you're ready to prove yourself...especially this early in the season. [UWGB] is going to come here ready to play, and we have to be ready ourselves."" 

Despite the Phoenix's loss Sunday in their season opener, they have a team full of experience and a large group of returning players, including four starters.  

Green Bay finished with a record of 8-8 in the Horizon League last season. Nevertheless, many predict the Phoenix to contend for the conference title this year. Any team that has good chemistry on the court and is made up of men who are familiar playing with one another can be difficult to break down. 

Last season, Wisconsin was able to pull away with the win against UWGB in a game that was more competitive than expected. Wisconsin escaped with an 82-62 win after leaading just 40-37 at the half. With both teams being comprised of many of the same players as last season, one can only assume this season's game will be just as intense as last year's. 

Both the Badgers and the Phoenix have a lot to prove within these first few regular season games and are going to come well prepared for a tight game. Wisconsin hopes to build on its current winning streak, and Green Bay is in search of its first major victory in regular season play. 

""These are the games we can't let slip away,"" Tucker said. ""If a team comes in more prepared than you, they can pull away with a win, and that's one of the things we don't pride ourselves on doing."" 

The game against Green Bay is the first of three for the Badgers against in-state rivals.