There's no place like home

It is almost that time of the year again. Just after Halloween UW-Madison students will flock to local property companies in hopes of scoring the perfect place for the perfect price. But few students know what to look for and what they are entitled to. 

Students gain many rights when they become tenants of an apartment. Without parents or housefellows, students are responsible for themselves. Impatience and even naA_vete causes many students to rush to sign a lease and do not take the time to check out important policies or rules that may affect them.  

Getting to know the owners  

Size up your prospective landlords. Whether it is a house or apartment, students need to be aware if owners are reputable and pleasant to work with.  

Find out about repair and maintenance policies, and if the landlord is approachable with student needs.  

Talk to the landlord about paying late rent and penalties for doing so. Does the place appear nice and is it in good condition?  

The best way to have these and other questions answered is to talk to students currently living in the apartment you look at.  

Decision time: Leases 

Signing an apartment lease is legally binding. Read over every detail. Even have a family lawyer look over the lease, or at minimum, your parents.  

Get all verbal promises on paper for written proof. If a landlord promises new carpet in November, but next August does not recall saying that, there will not be much a student can do.  

Know which utilities are covered by the monthly rent, including internet, cable and gas. Students can call the utility company, Madison Gas and Electric, to find out average prices for a certain apartment they are looking at. 

Financial responsibility 

Most Madison property leases make all roommates on a lease jointly responsible. In less technical terms, all roommates can be held responsible when any roommate fails to meet obligations under the lease, such as not paying rent, violating a lease clause or damaging the apartment.  

If a student transfers or wants to get out of the lease, he/she is responsible for finding a replacement roommate or paying the rent. Students can break their lease or move out early without approval, but are still responsible for paying the rent. 

Landlord requirements 

Besides tenant responsibilities, landlords also have many responsibilities to carry out. The property owner is required to provide future tenants with all of Madison's building codes. For example, hot water must always be provided and hallways and stairs must always be lit.  

Doors must have a viewing hole and a deadbolt lock. All balconies and windows must have fasteners or bolts. Smoke detectors must be working. Landlords have an obligation to keep common areas such as hallways, storage areas, laundry rooms, parking lots and yards clean and in good condition.  

Before signing, students should be aware of these codes and not have to feel like they are living in an animal house (unless they willingly choose to do so).  

Subletting 

Students planning on going abroad in the next year should check with the landlord about subletting or finding short-term living arrangements. Month-to-month and semester leases are hard to find but are available, especially later in the spring. Each landlord has different policies in their leases about subletting. Most require a fee and the subletter has to sign paperwork to be considered a legal roommate. 

A new keg, a new place 

UW-Madison students party a lot, but sometimes they get penalized for doing so. Many apartment buildings have strict rules about kegs, noise and the number of people allowed in an apartment at one time.  

Ask current tenants how lenient the landlords are about parties and whether or not they will call the police in certain situations. Read the lease carefully and listen when landlords explain their policies and possible consequences. 

Security 

Find out about security cameras, if the entrances are easily accessible, and liability with theft or other crimes. Find out if the building hires police to watch the entrance and what the locking mechanisms are on all doors. It is essential that students personally decide if they will feel safe living in that apartment.  

Patience 

The best advice in looking for an apartment and signing a lease is to take time in making any decisions. Ask a ton of questions, even make a list. Remember, students have rights too. This may just be a temporary home, but picking the best living situation and knowing the details will only make life that much easier.