Senator Obama stands behind Wis. Democrats

MILWAUKEE—U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, addressed hundreds on a near- freezing morning Tuesday in Milwaukee to show support for Wisconsin Democrats running for critical state offices in next week's election. 

The charismatic senator spoke in support of the campaigns of Gov. Jim Doyle, Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wisc., U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Milwaukee and attorney general candidate Kathleen Falk. The four Wisconsin candidates gave speeches before the headliner took stage. 

Additionally, Obama emphasized values of the Democratic Party.  

As he pointed fingers at Republican leadership, Obama said the Iraq War is costing Americans money and lives with no end in sight. ""We must balance the might of our military with the finesse of our diplomacy,"" he said. 

In reference to his recent book, ""The Audacity of Hope,"" he argued politics have recently become ""detached"" from communities and families. This creation of ""hopelessness"" amongst Americans must be attacked head-on by politicians, according to Obama.  

""Talking about hope is one thing, acting on it is another. We should decide to hope,"" he said. 

Much of the speech focused on Obama's concept of the socialistic Democratic ideology.  

""We must come together around a set of common goals and ideas. We've got a stake in each other,"" he said. 

He also stressed the importance of providing health care to senior citizens and advocating the farming of alternative fuels.  

In regard to issues that can be addressed at the state level, the Illinois senator said Americans must ""compete globally"" in the education field, specifically in math and science. 

Obama vocalized overwhelming support for Kohl, labeling him a ""premier workhorse."" Obama said the two agree on almost everything—except for the outcome of Milwaukee Bucks vs. Chicago Bulls games, he joked.  

Political buzz pins Obama as a possible Democratic candidate in the 2008 presidential election. Though he has yet to confirm such rumors, hints of a future Obama presidential campaign surfaced during Tuesday's event.  

While introducing Obama, Doyle said, ""When you see Barack, you see the future of America — a future we can all embrace. Today, we just might have a future President in town.""  

Holding ""Obama/Clinton ‘08"" signs and yelling ""Barack for president,"" Milwaukee natives Sally Maddics and her husband Floyd Dorsey captured an excitement sensed throughout the crowd.  

""Obama will bring the best of the world back into our world,"" Dorsey said.  

Maddics added, ""I just feel electric. [Obama] brings people a Jack Kennedy type of hope."" 

Like Kennedy, Obama is a young senator who breaks the traditional characteristics of a presidential candidate. Kennedy was the first Catholic president — if Obama was elected, he would be the first black to hold office.  

Obama's final statement, ""this great experiment in American Democracy will continue for years to come,"" was followed by speakers roaring the Bruce Springsteen song, ""Born to Run.""