Get out the vote

Between panhandlers, evangelists and WisPIRG, the average UW-Madison student quickly learns to brush off street solicitors without a second thought.  

However, as Nov. 7 approaches, one question worth a moment of consideration is, ""Have you registered to vote?"" 

Not only will hotly contested elections in both the Governor and Attorney General races have a major influence over such issues as contraception and stem cell research, voters will also be able to decide the fate of the proposed constitutional ban on gay marriage and civil unions. 

For out-of-state students, the neck-and-neck races and relevant issues mean that a vote in Wisconsin will likely have a much greater effect than voting by absentee ballot in home states with projected landslides. 

If you happen to run into a registrar on the street, all you need to register is your driver's license or, if you are out of state, the last four digits of your social security number.  

Whether you register ahead of time or on Election Day, make sure to take advantage of your right to vote this Nov. 7. It might be the closest election for years to come.