Christian student org alliance may sue UW-Madison

The InterVarsity Christian Fellowship may file a lawsuit against UW-Madison if its UW-Madison chapter is denied Registered Student Organization status because of its policy that persons applying for leadership positions must sign an affirmation of faith.  

""From the national organization's perspective it seems to be heading toward court action,"" said Gordon Govier, national press relations director for IVCF. ""We haven't seen the university give any indication they don't want to go to court."" 

United Response, an alliance comprised of four campus Christian organizations—including the UW-Madison IVCF chapter—recently formed in response to recognition issues the groups are encountering.  

The week of Oct. 15, United Response spokesperson Vern Visick said the legal staff for the organization sent a letter to the Student Organization Office approximately a month and-a-half ago regarding the issue. Though he would not disclose the contents of the letter, Visick said that it included a request for more information about requirements for religious student organizations. According to Visick, the SOO has not yet responded. 

""We have asked to at least have a chance to make a case before that group and see if we can't come to a meeting of the minds before it gets to a legal situation,"" said Visick. ""They haven't let us know whether we're going to have a chance to enter that discussion or not."" 

University spokesperson John Lucas said upon inquiring with the SOO and university administrative legal services he found no record that a letter was ever received. 

""To the best of my knowledge we never received this communication from United Response,"" Lucas said. ""We would very much like to find out what they're requesting and give them more information."" 

The IVCF filed a lawsuit in federal court against the UW Board of Regents over the UW-Superior chapter's denial of student organization status. The denial was based on the requirement that leaders affirm the organization's Basis of Faith.  

Based on the precedent set by UW-Superior and the UW-Madison SOO's recent scrutiny of RSO leadership requirements, Govier said he anticipates the denial of the UW-Madison chapter's RSO status.  

""The university still doesn't seem inclined to recognize the chapter for the coming year,"" Govier said. 

""We feel all student organizations should be treated equally. That's basically what were seeking,"" Govier said. 

Visick said United Response will pursue the issue if a decision to deny RSO status is based on faith requirements of organizations.  

""I think it could be resolved by the university system backing off and realizing that what we're dealing with here is a free practice of religion issue,"" Visick said.