Campus view obstructed by new highrises

In the heart of downtown Madison, the opinion of students seems to matter the least, even though they dominate the population. Against the approval of much of Madison's student population, high-rise residences are increasing within the downtown area.  

Since 1996, more than 950 condominium homes and 500 apartments have been built in a district previously recognized for its rich culture and historical charm. At present, more than 1,000 condos starting at $260 per square foot are under construction or being proposed for approval.  

The majority of these projects, focused on propelling economic growth and glamorous aesthetics, pay little attention to the opinions of students who are slowly being eradicated from the picture. 

The most recent proposal is a 12-story condominium complex at the corner of North Bassett and West Johnson streets, where Casa Bianca and Milio's restaurants now stand.  

The project's design team openly admits the new residence is not primarily intended for students, yet defends replacing two popular late-night dining choices for campus residents.  

The location, already cluttered by a number of highrise apartment buildings, is feared to project a ""canyon-like atmosphere"" once the condominiums are built. Students living across from the site would sit at the center of this ""canyon,"" losing not only their view, but two popular nearby establishments.  

Katie Principe, a resident of 445 West Johnson St., disapproves of the building plan: ""I don't think they should tear down an integral part of college life to put up condominiums.""  

Though Casa Bianca owner Efrain Elmzi is considering relocating the lower portion of the new building, students still fear losing the convenience of the popular late-night venue. While developers suggest the project will contribute to decreased crime and reduced ""bad bartime behavior,"" the result is arguably the opposite. 

""The walk to Casa Bianca is well lit and short,"" said West Johnson Street resident Lora Chupita. ""It allows me to be less concerned for my safety.""  

Students also argue that relocating the restaurant beneath housing intended for ""empty nesters"" would require the establishment to shorten its hours of operation, meaning less availability for students, and in turn, leaving fewer viable options for students who wish to stay close to home.  

Student safety is only one of the concerns project managers and designers refuse to address directly. With the intention of commencing construction in early spring of 2007, the cost of the residences is yet to be decided on, though one can imagine rent will be beyond the feasible income of most college students.  

Developers have also ignored uneasiness from several neighborhood residents who fear the height of the building is too great for the area.  

The only condolence the design team offered was the assurance that the building will fit city height guidelines, sending the message that their vision for improving downtown Madison need not include its current residents.  

As developers continue to focus on destruction to increase their business gains and jumpstart competition, downtown Madison promises never to be the same. With highrises emerging throughout downtown at an alarming rate, the vivid culture treasured by students is fading as quickly as the horizon.