Boston College's speed overwhelms Wisconsin

Mitchell: Senior forward John Mitchell and Wisconsin could not create any scoring chances against Boston College?s defense Saturday.

UW begins Big Ten play

When the Wisconsin women's soccer team opens Big Ten play this weekend at the McClimon Soccer Complex, head coach Dean Duerst will have a problem on his hands. But it's a problem any coach would love to have. 

Before the Badgers take the field Friday night against Illinois or Sunday afternoon against Iowa, Duerst will have to choose which of his two goalkeepers to start in goal, and neither of the two has made it an easy choice. 

Just 23 minutes into the season opener against Creighton, junior incumbent starter Lynn Murray suffered an injury that forced her to miss the next four games. Senior Stef Szczechowski did an outstanding job in her place, however, holding then-No. 10 California and No. 20 Pepperdine to one goal apiece and shutting out UC-Santa Barbara during that stretch. 

But after Szczechowski started Friday night's game against No. 16 Missouri last weekend, Murray returned Sunday to shut out Kentucky. With both goalkeepers now healthy and on top of their game, Duerst must find a way to get both goalies playing time. 

""I think that's one thing we've got going for us,"" Duerst said at his Monday press conference. We have two accomplished goalkeepers. Either one is a starter in our program."" 

Duerst indicated that Murray was healthy enough to return several weeks ago during the team's west coast trip, but after Szczechowski shut out Santa Barbara, he decided to stick with the hot hand against Pepperdine in the second game. He also hinted that the time share may continue until one goalie clearly separates herself from the other. 

""Ultimately, maybe one will rise to be that No. 1, but right now, the team has very, very much confidence in both those goalies,"" Duerst said. ""You have to give them minutes, and you have to be able to share the load somewhat, and then maybe ultimately keep that hot keeper."" 

Regardless of who gets the starting nod in net, the Badgers will need strong all-around performances against both Illinois (4-4-0) and Iowa (4-3-1). Wisconsin will be looking to build on their dominant 1-0 victory over Kentucky, in which Wisconsin outshot the Wildcats 19-5. 

Illinois, picked by the Big Ten coaches to finish second in the conference, has been somewhat inconsistent this season, but is coming off an impressive 4-1 win over No. 12 Utah. Illinois freshman forward Chichi Nweke notched three second-half goals in the game, giving her four on the season. 

""Illinois is a team that's trying to find itself a little bit,"" Duerst said. ""Friday's game will be very exciting. They're a powerful, exciting, attacking team."" 

On Sunday, Wisconsin will face an Iowa squad that has won just one Big Ten game in the past three seasons. But the Badgers know from experience that they can't afford to take the Hawkeyes lightly, as they were still able to play UW to a 2-2 tie a year ago. Iowa is led by sophomore forward Stephanie Hyink who leads the team with 17 shots, two goals and three assists.  

The game against Illinois will get underway 7 p.m. Friday. The matchup against Iowa starts 1 p.m. Sunday..