Republicans stress campus safety, lowering tuition

UW-Madison College Republicans President Erica Christenson expressed her support for Lt. Gov. candidate Jean Hundertmark because she said ""Jean will take the ‘for sale' sign off of our capital."" 

Republican candidate for Dane County Sheriff Mike Hanson and Hundertmark spoke at a UW-Madison's College Republicans meeting Tuesday. Both stressed the importance of the student vote in the upcoming elections. 

In response to recent sexual assaults, Hanson addressed the concern of campus safety and assured the students he would ""bring the heat."" The High Enforcement Arrest Team is a committee made up of ""five personnel going after AWOL, felony, warrant, non-compliant, sex offender individuals,"" Hanson said.  

The committee's sole responsibility would be to track situations involving high-risk offenders. He urged caution to students when walking alone at night.  

When asked about what he thought about the notorious Halloween celebration in Madison, Hanson said it is continually an area of anxiety for the police force as they try to monitor the amount of alcohol consumed and keep the students from harm. He said he believes the rowdiness level has gone to the extreme. 

""What we are seeing is this right of passage to have a riot,"" Hanson said. 

Lt. Gov. Candidate Jean Hundertmark endorsed gubernatorial candidate Mark Green and his tuition plans, a sore subject for many UW-Madison students.  

""I offered a bill in the state legislature that would cap tuition increases because this is just out of control and Jim Doyle doesn't know how to deal with it."" Hundertmark said.  

She and Green ""are committed to lowering the tax curve"" so students will chose to stay in Wisconsin after they graduate to avoid ""the brain drain"" in the state.