Lautenschlager: \Some have called me an activist A.G.\

I appreciate the opportunity to say a few words about my record and about my candidacy for reelection as Wisconsin's attorney general.  

I ran for the office of attorney general because I wanted to put my skills as an attorney and prosecutor to work in greater service to the people of this state. I hope you will consider my record of effectiveness and experience when you compare me to my opponents and vote today. 

One recent issue in particular I am proud to have addressed as attorney general was the inaction by the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on the emergency contraception drug called ""Plan B."" Long after deadlines for action had passed, the FDA refused to render a decision on the accessibility of Plan B. I sued the FDA, calling for them to do their job and act on this drug. I argued that science, not politics, ought to be the determining factor in the agency's decision. 

The FDA finally did approve Plan B. The FDA's actions were not acceptable, and as Wisconsin's attorney general I used the power of the office to truly represent the interests of the citizens over a corrupted process.  

In an attorney general's opinion I also required the University of Wisconsin health service to provide access to emergency contraception because denying coverage for a prescription drug used by only one gender is a discriminatory practice. 

These issues represent only a small fraction of an attorney general's potential impact. For example, I have addressed numerous environmental problems over the past four years. I will continue to do so if reelected. 

If the major issues I have wored on in this regard have one thing in common, it's this: I am not afraid to go up against a powerful special interest on behalf the rights of average, or in some cases powerless, Wisconsin citizens.  

Some have called me an ""activist A.G.,"" thinking the term to be derisive. Obviously an ""Inactive A.G."" is exactly what the hard right, the Bush Administration, and perhaps those who get their marching orders from on high in Wisconsin, want from this office. I hope that in working hard for you I'll continue to make them less comfortable in their attempts to dismiss us, our rights, and our environment. 

To learn more about my candidacy, I encourage you to visit my campaign Web site at www.peg2006.org; to learn more about what your Wisconsin Department of Justice is doing every day, visit www.doj.state.wi.us.