Just Off Campus...

The Ironman began in 1978 after a group of Navy Seals couldn't decide whether swimmers, cyclists or runners were the best athletes. Their solution? Combine all three in one grueling 140.6-mile race. 

In its fifth year, Ironman Wisconsin is one of only 21 full-length Ironman races in the world.  

Join over 50,000 spectators to watch athletes from around the globe and 21 current UW-Madison triathlon team members compete to become Ironmen and Ironwomen.  

Swim 2.4 miles: The day begins at 7 a.m. with a 2.4-mile dip in Lake Monona. 

Although the start time might be early for some, watching over 2,000 athletes dive into the lake is worth more than a few extra hours of sleep. 

The best place to watch the swim is from the rooftop of the Monona Terrace, located at  

1 John Nolen Drive. 

From campus, take a right onto Martin Luther King Boulevard and the Monona Terrace is at the end of the street. 

Bike 112 miles: The roof of the Monona Terrace will give a bird's eye view of the swim-to-bike transition, just before bikers take off down John Nolen Drive and into Verona. 

If you'd like to watch the bikers in Verona, round-trip shuttle buses will leave from the Alliant Energy Center throughout the morning. 

The 112-mile bike route through Dane County begins for the fastest athletes at about  

7:50 a.m. and ends at the Monona Terrace around 12:30 p.m., when the marathon will begin. 

Run 26.2 miles: The marathon is the easiest way for students to watch the Ironman. 

Catch the runners as they complete two loops, running through areas including Dayton Street, Spring Street, in Camp Randall Stadium, Breese Terrace, University Avenue, Lakeshore Path, Observatory Drive, North Park Street and State Street. 

The fastest athletes will finish on Martin Luther King Boulevard around 3:30 p.m., but runners will continue to finish until the official cutoff at midnight.