Fair Wisconsin backed by both national, state Christian groups

While many assume Christians will vote in favor of the ban on gay marriage and civil unions, a coalition of state and national religious organizations have announced their opposition to the proposed November ban.  

""We affirm the rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all people, regardless of their family or marital status,"" Rev. Ken Pennings, said on behalf of National Church Leaders who oppose the Wisconsin amendment in a statement.  

The group, whose motto is to be ""a flowing river of justice,"" is comprised of numerous religious organizations, primarily various Christian groups.  

Fair Wisconsin says that many Christians within the state have pledged support for their campaign.  

""A lot of these people didn't have to get involved at all but just decided that it was their faith that compelled them to oppose this amendment,"" said Rachel Stauch-Nelson, spokesperson for Fair Wisconsin. 

Curt Anderson, senior pastor at First Congregation of the United Church of Christ, has actively opposed the ban. Anderson and Christians for a Quality Wisconsin were the first religious group to officially speak out against the amendment.  

The group has organized clergy across the state to campaign against the ban, assisted Fair Wisconsin with field work and rallied on the state Capitol steps in February.  

""We're opposed to the constitutional amendment. We believe in equal marriage rights for all people,"" Anderson said.  

Focus on the Family, the largest national group against gay marriage bans, will likely be the main opposition to Anderson and fellow Christians opposing the amendment. The group recently filed an account with the Wisconsin State Elections Board, indicating its intent to invest money. 

Anderson said he finds serious flaws in the Christian fundamentalist argument of Focus on the Family that relies heavily on Bible condemnation of homosexuality.  

""If they quote the Old Testament, then I tell them they can't eat pork, and they can't eat shell fish, and they can't wear any clothing that mixes two kinds of fabrics, and they can't cut their beard,"" Anderson said.  

These impractical, outdated denunciations, according to Anderson, are found in the same book that discusses sodomy. 

Though Dignity USA, a Roman Catholic church, is working with the national church leaders who oppose the amendment, official church doctrine condemns same sex unions. Pope Benedict XVI describes such a union as ""anarchic freedom.""