Club Majestic crackdown necessary

Madison's recent crackdown on Club Majestic is necessary and reasonable in response to continued violence at 115 King St. Reducing the club's capacity, banning glass bottles, requiring more security officers and ending live shows earlier are all legitimate attempts to reduce out-of-control situations at Majestic while maintaining the club's viability as a business.  

Fights, a shooting, a stabbing and the most recent brawl on Sept. 12 have established a pattern of violence that cannot continue. Beginning in February 2006, Club Majestic has received intense scrutiny for this wave of violence, culminating with the city's latest and most stringent efforts to reduce King Street crime. 

The Schiavo family, which owns the club, should take further steps to reduce violence. Abiding by the city's new regulations is an important first step, but to ensure Majestic's long-term existence, the Schiavos must take it upon themselves to make their club a safe place and an asset to the city.  

As owners, the Schiavos know the causes of hostility at Club Majestic best and should use their knowledge to develop solutions to address the ongoing violence.  

Legal proceedings to declare the club a public nuisance are legitimate considering the current situation, making collaborative efforts to restore safety crucial. 

Whether it takes additional security guards or metal detectors, the Schiavos should work with city officials to tailor solutions specifically for their establishment.  

If reducing violence proves impossible or prohibitively expensive, it may be time to talk of closing Club Majestic for the safety and viability of the downtown community.