Cardinal View Editorial: Stem Cell Plan a Political Gesture

This is why you always have to read the fine print.  

Last week republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Green announced a plan to spend $25 million dollars to fund embryonic stem cell research in Wisconsin. At least that's what he wants you to think.  

In reality, Green, a social conservative who has repeatedly voted to limit funding for stem cell researchwhile serving in Congress, is interested in funding experimental research conducted by a laboratory in California. The lab claims it can grow stem cell lines without destroying the embryos. The fact that traditional stem cell research destroys the embryo has made the science controversial amongst social conservatives.  

This research in California has yet to be duplicated and in the end the embryos from this particular study were destroyed. It would likely take several more years of research to perfect this technique before scientist could get back to actually doing research on stem cells and finding cures for diseases like Alzheimer's and Juvenile Diabetes.  

Green's proposal fixes a problem that does not exist. The majority of people in Wisconsin and in the U.S. do not have a problem with destroying eight cell embryos for stem cell research. The embryos are extra fertilized eggs from fertility clinics that would end up in a dumpster if scientists do not use them for research. 

Green's promise to spend $25 million on stem cell research, will not accelerate the discovery of cures for diseases. But he hopes it will soften his image as an extreme social conservative who completely opposed to stem cell research, without upsetting his base of social conservatives.  

He is trying to have his political cake and eat it too.  

And where is Green going to get that $25 million to pursue this experimental stem cell technique? Thanks to President Bush, money for stem cell research doesn't grow on trees these days. That $25 million would be much better spent on proven techniques and research to find cures for the people who need them, not to protect embryos that would have been thrown away.  

Cardinal View editorials are crafted independent of news coverage.  

Please send responses to editorialboard@dailycardinal.com.