Berquam for dean of students

Interim Dean of Students and former Associate Dean of Students Lori Berquam confirmed to The Daily Cardinal her intentions to pursue the open seat for dean of students. We could not be more pleased.  

Unlike her two most recent predecessors, Berquam worked in the university housing system for 15 years and has served as associate dean since 2003. Her commitment to the university is evident and fulfills a crucial qualification for the role of dean of students. 

Since Mary Rouse finished her 13-year term as dean of students in 2000, two deans have come and gone. To this board, the quick overturn of former deans reflects a lack of commitment. 

Students seem to agree: As reported in the Wisconsin State Journal, student criticism of the office has centered on the brevity of former deans' tenure.  

Berquam, however, would present a solution to students' concern that the next dean will resign as quickly as the last, leaving unfinished programs and unfulfilled promises in the wake. 

Berquam, unlike candidates recruited from around the United States, already has her roots firmly planted in Madison.  

Also, unlike other possible candidates, Berquam has had the university experience necessary to understand exactly what UW-Madison's students need. Like the best candidates, Berquam has a solid plan for progression at the university.  

Berquam's plan features a much-needed tool to combat the frequent and unnecessary campus attacks and muggings. She plans to institute a campus safety forum to educate students on how they can take care of themselves and other Badgers while uniting students against the recent Madison crime wave. 

The only questionable aspect of Berquam's plan is an idea for a website where students could report incidents of campus ""bias.""  

Though noble in purpose, we advise Berquam to avoid the ""campus climate"" clichAc. Madison already has a relatively tolerant community, and we believe Berquam should address more pressing issues such as campus safety, as she suggested, as well as domestic partner benefits. 

As the quest for a new dean of students gains momentum, this editorial board supports Berquam's candidacy. Lori Berquam knows her students and has an administrative record that demonstrates fidelity and commitment to UW-Madison.