Dems and GOP call candidates ’main focus’ of Nov. election

Despite the state Assembly's recent decision to put the death penalty referendum on the November ballot along with the 'Defense of Marriage Act' amendment, Democrat and Republican officials agree those two issues will not be the main focus of the 2006 governor election. 

'[The death penalty and gay marriage] are certainly big issues that have drawn a lot of attention from the media and stir intense debates on both sides,' said Mike Prentiss, spokesperson for state Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau. 

However, Prentiss said he believes the gubernatorial candidates will overshadow even these hot topics.  

'I don't think they'll end up being the defining issues,' Prentiss said.  

He described the referendum as 'taking the temperature of the voting public and where they stand on [the death penalty].'  

'If anything, these issues offer voters a clear distinction between the two candidates for governor,' Press Secretary for the Mark Green campaign Rob Vernon said. 

State Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, agreed the two issues would rouse debate. He predicted an increase in voter turnout increase because the issues are emotional. 

'The Republicans think this will bring out some of their base, which is true. But they will be very vigorously fought,' he said.  

Risser also said 'an active minority is always more potent than a passive majority' and said he believes the gay and lesbian community will be the voting base brought out this election, which will not work in the Republicans' favor.  

Joe Wineke, chair of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, said the focus on gay marriage and the death penalty is a Republican attempt to 'divert attention away from their miserable record.' 

'If I were Mark Green, I'd want to divert attention away from his rock-solid support for everything George Bush has done,' Wineke said. 

Vernon said the Green campaign will focus on '[Green's] plan to make Wisconsin great again and restore integrity to the governor's office.' He does not anticipate much campaign attention on gay marriage and the death penalty because Green's support for the amendment and referendum is clear. Vernon said cutting taxes is Green's priority.  

Prentiss said his office has received more constituent contact for the Defense of Marriage amendment than the death penalty referendum.  

'Every poll indicates support for it,' he said. 'We predict it will be passed.' 

Despite the emotional appeal of these two issues, none of the senators or spokespersons thought gay marriage and the death penalty would eclipse other issues.