Preparation must precede ceremony for UW grads

With the end of the semester approaching, nearly 5,000 undergraduate and professional students are planning to graduate. But before a single cap is tossed in May's graduation ceremonies, students must ensure that they have met the necessary degree requirements.  

According to Connie Chapman, student services manager at the Office of the Registrar, the ceremonies and graduation from the University are technically different. 

We differentiate a bit between the ceremonies and actual graduation,\ she said. ""For us, graduation means completion of degree requirements."" 

She said the Registrar's office notifies students in position to graduate with an e-mail at the beginning of the semester. Students of every major and degree follow the same process to apply for graduation with a link found in the MyUW portal. 

Although many students indicated their intent to graduate early on in the semester, students making last-minute decisions still have the chance to leave UW-Madison with a degree this spring. 

""Students can still let us know that they're planning to graduate up until the end of the term,"" she said. 

However, the deadline for inclusion in the commencement program passed in early April.  

Students registered to attend commencement will attend one of five spring ceremonies at the Kohl Center on May 12, 13 and 14, depending on their degree. 

But Chapman said students wishing to graduate could still attend the ceremony, which also includes students who will complete their graduation requirements after summer classes.  

""We welcome them to come to the May ceremonies because we don't have any ceremonies in August,"" she said. 

UW-Madison seniors Lindsay Pittelkow and Dave Eckhardt had no problems with the graduation process. 

Pittelkow said the online process was quick and the University communicated all the deadlines well. 

Eckhardt said the February e-mailwas sent in plenty of time to check his Degree Audit Reporting System report and apply for graduation. 

""It was pretty simple,"" he said. 

Although the online system works for most, Chapman said assistance is available if needed. 

""If the student has problems trying to do it online, they can contact our office and we can update the information for them,"" she said. 

According to the office of the secretary of faculty, graduation ceremonies are free and open to the general public. 

\