Assembly passes amended tax proposal on slim margin

After heated debate that carried into the wee hours of Friday morning, the state Assembly narrowly passed an altered version of the Taxpayer Protection Amendment in a 50 to 48 vote. 

Lawmakers defeated the original version of TPA and gathered just enough of the needed votes to pass the amended version, according to a statement from state Assembly Minority Leader Jim Kreuser, D-Kenosha.  

For the final vote, nine Republicans joined all of the Assembly's 39 Democrats in voting against the amended TPA. This version now places spending limits on state government spending but does not mandate spending limits for local governments.  

Today's debate on the TABOR [TPA] amendment made me think it was Groundhog Day. Two years ago we were treated to the same side show, the same haphazard amendments and the same chaotic mess,\ Kreuser said. ""In two years nothing changed—a testament to the reckless nature of this proposal."" 

Because Wisconsin's tax burden is 10 percent over the national average and seventh highest in the nation, Speaker of the Assembly John Gard, R-Peshtigo, said TPA's passage would give taxpayers more control over their money and make the government more accountable, according to a statement. 

The proposal will now move on to the state Senate for full consideration, and according to a statement from Senate Majority Leader Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center, he expects ""to have a floor debate on Wednesday."" 

\