Willy Street melting pot played host to activism, local artistry of 'working class'

Madison: 150 years of history  

Part six of a semester-long series East of the Capitol lies a neighborhood whose rundown, shabby appearance attracted the attention of energetic artists and activists in the turbulent '70s. Today, that spirit of individualism has blossomed into a center of local businesses and diverse residents who maintain the neighborhood's original closeness. 

Sharon Kilfoy, community artist and art teacher at the Williamson Street Art Center, 1020 Williamson St., has lived on Willy Street for 30 years. She said in the '60s and '70s, artists who were disillusioned with the university, academic approach to art\ settled on Willy Street because it was ""affiliated with the working class"" and allowed artists to create an ""alliance with the people.""  

Kilfoy said all of the activity by poets, artists and actors on Willy Street gave the area an artsy reputation with a population of ""free-spirited people."" She described one house, owned by Mona Webb, where artists gathered every Sunday morning to dance to Bach.  

Politics were a crucial influence on artists, according to Kilfoy. ""We are who we are because of the politics of the '70s,"" she said. The anti-capitalist mentality of artists and war protestors has resulted in ideas such as community food co-ops, she said. 

Wynston Estis, assistant manager at the Willy Street Co-op, 1221 Williamson St., said her customers embody the neighborhood's idealism. ""They have an incredible commitment to community,"" she said. The community is close, but has ""always been very accessible and diverse,"" said Estis. She said the area is ""a little more funky"" and that ""people do what they like and live and let live.""  

Kilfoy said now Willy Street has become popular and property prices have ""become exorbitant."" She attributes the new popularity to the street's history of artistic energy; however, she said, ""the people creating [Willy Street's atmosphere] can't afford to be here anymore.""  

The art scene has changed as a result. ""It's not as overtly political,"" Kilfoy said. Today, ""art is integrated into people's daily lives"" through murals, public art and business window fronts, said Kilfoy. 

The sense of community developed by the artists is now experienced by the current local businesses. Willy Street is ""very close-knit"" according to Stephanie Gold, manager and bookkeeper at Steve's Tattoo and Body Piercing, 1205 Williamson St. 

The Willy Street businesses lean on each other for cross-promotion in commercials and advertisements, said Gold. 

Martin Deacon, founder and manager of Jamerica Restaurant, 1236 Williamson St., compares [Willy Street] with State Street; ""it has the same style."" However, both Gold and Deacon agree that State Street is turning more mainstream while Willy St. tries to preserve its local feel. 

Residents of the community also continue neighborhood traditions started by the artists. Every September, the community hosts the Willy Street Fair, which includes a parade and a variety of foods, crafts, and local bands.  

Kilfoy said the tradition was started by Dan Yopack, an influential and active artist living on Willy Street during the '70s. Today the event draws a crowd that represents the multicultural diversity of the neighborhood, according to Deacon.  

""Right from the get-go, it kind of had a working-class presence, and I think that's what, in the '60s and '70s, attracted a lot of artists to it who … saw moving to Williamson Street as making an alliance with the people,"" Kilfoy said.  

\