Study Drug 101: this is your brain on Adderall

Although popping pills may give some students the extra edge to finish papers and cram for exams, the drug many students swear by can lead to addiction and serious side effects when not monitored by a physician. 

Doctors prescribe the stimulant amphetamine Adderall to activate certain chemicals in patients with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD. 

Dr. Eric Heiligenstein, clinical director of psychiatry at University Health Services, said the drug affects two central nervous system chemicals in the brain: norepinephrine, an adrenaline that works with cognitive function and wakefulness, and dopamine, which also controls cognitive function and reward pathways. 

Dr. Jeff Anders, clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at UHS, added that the drug also improves executive functioning—the ability to plan and sequence activities. 

Because Adderall is non-specific, Anders said it affects those using the drug for ADHD or for an all-nighter the same way. Therefore all of its users are subject to it's side effects. 

Sometimes the stimulating effects can be helpful in terms of improving alertness, but sometimes people can get extremely jittery or have insomnia,\ Anders said. ""That positive effect [for some] is also an unwanted side effect for [other] people."" 

According to Anders, amphetamine based medications have been used since the late 1930s and are generally safe, but, like any medication, they still have the potential to cause serious side effects. 

The risks of Adderall, including serious cardiovascular problems and even death, sparked recent debate over whether the Food and Drug Administration should place ""black box"" warning labels on the drug. 

In February, the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee voted to put the strongest warning label on, but in March, the FDA Pediatric Advisory Committee recommended that the label not be included. Currently, the FDA plans to at least issue a detailed medication guide to those prescribed ADHD drugs. 

In addition to harmful side effects, Heiligenstein said the potential for Adderall abuse and addiction is ever-present, especially in those with genetic vulnerabilities to dependency. However, users without that liability may still fall victim to a psychological dependence on the drug. 

""If you took these medications for your finals and got good grades, how are you going to say, ‘I'm not going to take it this time?'"" he said. ""People find themselves getting into that kind of cycle, where they feel they can't do what they're doing or get the results they want without taking the medication."" 

One UW-Madison junior, who wished to remain anonymous, said he uses Adderall as a stimulant during stressful parts of the semester.  

""I don't need it to focus, it's just nice to be awake for long nights,"" he said. ""But it does make you think about things pretty intensely, which is nice for subjects like physics."" 

Students looking to get ahead are not alone—those trying to lose weight also take the drug for its norepinephrine release, which reduces appetite, Heilgenstein said. 

""It's the typical chemical when people talk about ‘fight or flight' responses,"" he said. ""When the body is in that kind of protective state, food is not high on one's list."" 

Whether for weight loss or studying, Anders said Adderall abuse spans nearly every college campus—the reason UHS requires patients go through ""fairly rigorous"" ADHD evaluations. If diagnosed, doctors prescribe non-stimulant drugs whenever possible and require patients to attend periodic appointments to remain on prescriptions. 

""It's certainly not recommended that people use them on their own without seeing a physician first,"" Anders said.\