Science of studying: Careful caffeine consumption

As finals approach, there are a few things that will invariably follow: cramming, lack of sleep and lots of caffeine. Caffeine is popular in the college ranks, especially when needed for that extra kick to keep students awake. However, caffeine use can take a toll on a drinker's health. 

It is common knowledge that caffeine supplies a buzz and keeps the mind alert, but it is not without harmful side effects. According to WebMD.com, caffeine can produce dizziness, quivering, nervousness and irritability. While waking up with a cup of coffee may enable you to study for an extra hour or two, side effects produced by caffeine can adversely affect exam performance.  

Another important fact to remember about caffeine is that more is not necessarily better.  

Caffeine is a tricky drug. It's not like other drugs that heighten the body's response as you take more. There comes a point where you can take too much and get the reverse effect,\ said Eric Heiligenstein, clinical director of psychiatry at University Health Services. According to Heiligenstein, a large dosage of caffeine can actually bring on a dampened mood and cause a sluggish feeling instead of the burst of focus and energy users desire.  

Heiligenstein warned against the use of caffeine, citing the withdrawal symptoms that can follow after ceasing intake of the drug. Depending on the frequency and dosage of caffeine, a person's withdrawal symptoms can range from minor to quite severe. These symptoms include drowsiness, headaches or flu-like symptoms.  

""Caffeine has a very short half-life in the body. It can be processed as quickly as six hours,"" Heiligenstein said. Keeping this in mind come test time will help plan caffeine consumption accordingly.  

Heiligenstein provided one last piece of advice to caffeine users, ""If you want to get the maximum effect from caffeine, especially during test time, try to abstain from it except for when you really need it.""\