Madisonian makes an alluring impression

It is exciting when a local artist receives international attention and turns the heads of music critics around the world. Madison musician Charlemagne played South by Southwest and has garnered interest from national and international press outlets for his latest album, Detour Allure. 

It is no wonder why he is getting so much praise, since Detour Allure masterfully captures Charlemagne's essence and appeal. Charlemagne (whose real name is Carl Johns) takes indie folk to another level as he creates a lo-fi folk pop genre. Johns' gentle, delicate vocals blend beautifully with the instrumentation, as he creates a certain blissful, carefree mood in one breath and totally changes the tone in the next.  

Female vocals add harmony and give his music an enjoyable depth, complimenting and filling the sound throughout the album.?Not only is the sound carefully molded, but the lyrics are insightful and captivating, proving that both his notes and words work together to build an enriching and accomplished sound.  

Detour Allure succeeds on many levels, as it is carefully mastered and the 

entire album makes a complete thought. Throughout the album, every song builds upon the previous one while varying the sound, making the album incredibly affecting.  

Detour Allure starts off in classic Charlemagne style with Greyhound.\ It is folksy at its heart, but gives listeners a glimpse into what to expect throughout the entire album—a bit of rock 'n' roll. ""Greyhound"" is the perfect start to an album so rich and deep in sound.  

Standout ""Pink and Silver"" is uplifting and a great surprise, as Charlemagne steps out of the folk shell and experiments with a new style and sound. Even with all the changes at the surface, Charlemagne is able to incorporate his folk sound in this seemingly pop song.  

Another highlight, ""Your Scars,"" emphasizes how Charlemagne is able to make all the elements work well together and creates a track that is amazingly intricate, yet still seems simple. The track is stunning because of Johns' close attention to detail and layers of vocals and instrumentation. ""Fight or Flight"" is the point where the album shifts from folk to a more rock 'n' roll feeling. The tempo increases as electric guitar makes a more dominant presence, and this continues in the tracks that?follow.  

""Fave Unknown"" is more upbeat, as it incorporates guitar?distortion and is reminiscent of '60s rock. This type of?distorted sound continues in ""Tell Me"" and ""(We Are) Making Light."" One intriguing aspect is that although these tracks seem a bit?outside the folk character from the earlier tracks, they are integrated?well and fit perfectly into the album, adding another unique dimension ?to Charlemagne's music.?? 

The album ends on a soft, delicate note in a way that is almost cyclical to how the?album started. ""Hello September"" takes the listener back to the low-key?mood established at the beginning. This is the perfect end to an?extraordinary album.  

Charlemagne's Detour Allure is a vibrant mix of folk, indie pop and rock?'n' roll as he creates a fresh sound. Charlemagne succeeds because although?his sound is eclectic, he maintains his folk roots throughout the?album. His new twist on folk is invigorating and gives him a certain?appeal that Madison should be proud of. 

\