High demand forces Madison's laundry centers to diversify

Upon entering Laundry 101, the crisp, refreshing smell of clean clothes fills the air. Customers lounge on tall bar stools reading, watching the television screens over head, and sipping on their favorite drink, enjoying a light snack. The time it takes to wash a large load of whites seems to fly by. 

In Madison, a high demand for laundromats caused by the large percentage of college students who lack personal laundry facilities has forced laundry businesses to diversify.  

To diminish the tedious task of doing laundry, local business owners have spiced up the routine chore of washing clothes, while reaping the resulting increase in revenues. 

Located at 437 W. Gilman St., Laundry 101 boasts a large array of laundry machines as well as a bar and arcade along the periphery of the store. The business owners said they originally worked to create an atmosphere that was attractive to college students in the area. 

It started with a bunch of college guys looking for a fun business to start,\ said manager Rich Anderegg, of Laundry 101.  

Their plan was a laundry service that could provide not only more income, but also ""a service we could grow over the years,"" Anderegg said.  

The unique combination of washing machines and a fully stocked bar keeps customers coming back. Anderegg said, ""[the business] is extremely successful and in the fall we hope it will keep getting bigger."" Patrons can enjoy the fun and laidback atmosphere while waiting for their clothes and enjoying a drink at the bar.  

""[Laundry 101] draws people because it is different from everything else,"" said current Laundry 101 employee and UW-Madison junior Kevin Gerads. About four years ago USA Today rated the business ""the best laundromat in the country,"" Gerads laughed. ""I can put that on my resumé.""  

Similarly, Mifflin Laundry and Tanning, located at 555 W. Mifflin, also excels in the industry by merging two dramatically different services for customers. While washing loads of dirty clothes, patrons can use the UV-free tanning booths in the other section of the store. 

Owner Dale Suslick explained that his originally family-owned business decided to go beyond laundry. He said it has been very difficult to run two businesses, ""Only extreme persistence and personal dedication has made it possible.""  

The larger company of Madison Tanning owns Mifflin Tanning and Laundry as well as many other chains around Wisconsin. The company aimed to target a broader market, so it added laundry services to its original business in tanning. ""Similar business models were used elsewhere ... we modified a good idea,"" Suslick said.  

The company experienced an increase in interested employees to the unique industry. Ashley Gohlke, a current employee at Mifflin Laundry and Tanning commented, ""Tanners come to do their laundry and utilize the fast tanning while they wait.""  

If on-site combination laundry facilities weren't satisfying enough, the popular storage and shipping company Lazybones provides a delivery laundry service for college students. Lazybones offers pick up and next day delivery of clean and folded clothes, in addition to dry cleaning services.  

\