Favre standing in the way of Green Bay's rebuilding

Technicalities aside, I believe that despite the success of the 2000 Baltimore Ravens with Trent Dilfer under center and the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers who were led by Brad Johnson, the numbers have shown that it takes an exceptional quarterback to win Super Bowls.  

Not convinced? Take a look at the data. Tom Brady has proven himself to be exceptional by wining in '01, '03 and '04. Kurt Warner led in nearly every quarterback statistic when he won his Super Bowl in '99. Here's a fun fact: John Elway and Steve Young, both Hall-of-Famers won three Super Bowls in the '90s while Troy Aikman, another Hall-of-Famer, occupied the rest of decade with his wins in Dallas. Finally, as many of you no doubt are aware, Brett Favre, a future first-ballot Hall of Fame inductee in my book and everyone else's, won a Super Bowl with the Green and Gold in '96.  

This is an interesting era for pro football. It is the changing of the guard, so to speak. Men who were not too long ago household names have traded jerseys for microphones and gone to make their living in the broadcast booth. Favre is the last of a nearly extinct breed.  

That extinction is overdue. Favre needs to retire.  

It will come as no surprise to anyone that I am not a Green Bay Packers fan. But, I will admit without the slightest embarrassment that I love and respect Favre. He plays the game the way it was meant to be played. He brought respect back to a fledgling organization. He has given every Packer fan a reason to believe that he can bring the Pack back from any deficit because, frankly, he can.  

After all Favre has done for the Packers it's time he gave them one last gift. With the NFL draft only 17 days away, it's time that Favre lets the Packers know he's out and that it's time for someone—anyone—to try and fill those cleats.  

I'm not saying he should retire because he's got no game left, maybe he does and maybe he doesn't. I'm not even saying he should retire because his 29 interceptions led the league last year. I'm saying he needs to retire because the Packers have moved on.  

Think about it. Last season the Packers finished with a 4-12 record, worst in the NFC North. Yes, injuries devastated the team but that's part of football. Because of those injuries, which contributed to that record, the Packers will be forced to rebuild.  

The Packers resigned fumble machine Ahman Green, who sat the past year out due to injury. True, Green could be one of the top rushers in the NFL if he could stay healthy and hold on to the ball, but I don't see that as likely. Why? Because this team has lost its core—a once dominant offensive line. Two top-tier linemen, Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera, were lost to free agency before the start of the '05 season. Without a line to support a running game, all the pressure is on the quarterback.  

It's even tougher on the quarterback when there is no one to throw to. Javon Walker and Donald Driver both spent time on the injured list last year. The Packers even had a guy named Taco trying to catch passes last year.  

Favre has said he'd return if the Packers build a winner. With most of the top free agents already signed, it looks like that ship has sailed.  

So move on Brett, let the grieving process begin for Wisconsin. The Packers need to find someone to fill even half the legendary hole you will leave and they will need as much time to do so as you can give them. 

You can reach Connor McKnight at cgmcknight@wisc.edu.