Doyle appoints four new Regent members

Gov. Jim Doyle added the first non-traditional student member along with three new public appointees to the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents Tuesday.  

Thomas Shields of UW-Oshkosh will fill the non-traditional student slot, a position signed into law by Doyle. Jeffrey Bartell of Madison, Wis., Brent Smith of La Crosse, Wis., and Mary Cuene of Green Bay, Wis., will join Shields on the Board.  

Shields, a 26-year-old political science major at UW-Oshkosh, was selected after a two-month application process. 

According to the statute, the person has to be an undergraduate student member who is at least 24 years old and represents the views of non-traditional students such as those who are employed or those who are parents,\ said Doyle spokesperson Anne Lupardus. 

Doug Bradley, UW System spokesperson, said the new position will help represent students who are not between the ages of 18 and 22.  

""While all of our Regents are very sensitive to and aware of the needs of parents, students, families and communities, it's going to be a good addition to have constant reminders and articulation of what our non-traditional students are dealing with, whether it be tuition, housing, jobs or financial aid,"" Bradley said.  

Current President of the Board of Regents, David Walsh, said the main responsibilities of the Board are to enact policies, promulgate rules and plan for future needs of the University System. 

""We determine priorities such as access—making it affordable and providing financial aid and quality—making sure we're competitive in the market of teachers,"" Walsh said.  

However, state Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said he is unhappy with the new appointments, which he claims are decided based on Democratic campaign contributions. 

""There appears to be a ‘for sale' sign on the Board of Regents seats, and they're going to the highest bidder,"" Suder said.  

Suder added the Board is filled with liberals from Milwaukee and Madison and as long as the positions are appointed, this trend will continue. 

""This is even more reason for the Board of Regents to be elected and not appointed due to how much money you donate to campaigns,"" he said.  

Whether or not these allegations are true, Bradley stressed the importance of these positions and their public service nature. 

""These are public volunteers who are doing all that they can with the time that they have to make this great and keep [it] a great University System,"" he said.  

\