Biker struck twice crossing Mills St.

On the 100 Block of North Mills Street two cars struck a bicyclist Sunday evening, one of them dragging him approximately 50 feet. 

The man, believed by onlookers to be a student, darted into the street from the Southwest Bike Path that crosses Mills Street by the railroad tracks without yielding to traffic, according to Officer Laura Walker. According to onlookers, the man wore dark clothes and no helmet.  

At approximately 8:30 p.m., a southbound car collided with the man, at which point he was thrown off the bike and into the path of a northbound car. The second car dragged him between 50 and 75 feet under its back tires. 

Police and emergency personnel arrived approximately two minutes later, blocking off Mills Street between Spring Street and Dayton Street.  

When police and emergency personnel arrived, the victim was still conscious and trapped under the back wheels of the car, according to onlookers. Authorities unloaded the trunk of the second car before using a jack to lift the car off the victim. 

There was no untwisting him until the car was lifted up,\ said a UW-Madison junior who lives on the corner of Spring and Mills street and immediately went to help the victim. He requested that his name be withheld. ""The bottom of his right foot was pointed to his head."" 

Police would not reveal the identity of the victim, but said his injuries were not life threatening.  

\