Barrows clean, colleagues say

Co-workers of Paul Barrows, former UW-Madison vice chancellor for student affairs, denied sexual harassment allegations against him before the Academic Staff Appeals Committee Tuesday. 

This marks the second day of hearings inquiring into misconduct accusations and Barrow's pay decrease after removal from his position at the University. 

On Monday, Barrows and his accusers testified, leaving Tuesday's hearings to other employees' accounts of his behavior in the office. 

[Barrows] is very pleased with the manner in which the committee conducted the hearing and felt that the committee was very fair in the way that that took place,\ Barrows' attorney Lester Pines said.  

Pines said Barrows' goals in having hearings were for the public to hear allegations against him, to hear the university's evidence and to have a neutral committee sift through the information. 

All witnesses on Tuesday said they never noticed unusual behavior by Barrows or inappropriate actions towards women. 

Steven Van Ess, former Financial Aid Office director, said Barrows' reputation in their 11 years working together was that ""he was a solid, professional, hard working, dedicated administrator."" He said he had no knowledge of Barrows' alleged history with women and that Barrows always seemed honest. 

Thomas Scott, who worked in the human resources department under Barrows, agreed with Van Ess. 

""I observed that he was a professional, involved and invested [in his job],"" Scott said. He said he never perceived Barrows as a womanizer, and he never received complaints about Barrows in the human resources department. 

Jose Madera, assistant dean of student affairs, was the director of Diversity in Education program under Barrows. Chandrika Mahadeva, one of two women testifying against Barrows, worked in his office for two years before resigning.  

Madera said the new office where they worked was ""politically charged,"" and that Mahadeva was unhappy working there. 

All complaints were channeled to Barrows, but Madera said he never received or overheard complaints about issues regarding Barrows. 

""At times there were dissenting opinions from her,"" Madera said. ""At times a professional relationship wasn't easy.""  

Another witness from the Chancellor's office, Cynthia Hasz, had close contact with Mahadeva. Hasz said Mahadeva was in contact with her frequently, but was never under the impression that Mahadeva felt uncomfortable with Barrows. Hasz said Barrows approached her once inquiring into Mahadeva's allegations. 

""He … had no idea who [Mahadeva] was,"" said Hasz 

After the hearing Tuesday, the committee deliberated in closed session. It will vote in an open session Friday morning at Union South to decide whether Barrows' actions are worthy of discipline by the University.  

\