The Badger Rundown

Junior Chris Solinksy was named Big Ten Conference Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Year yesterday. The Stevens Point native was honored as the Big Ten Athlete of the Championships as well, picking up two event wins and leading UW to their sixth straight conference title. 

Badger head coach Ed Nuttycombe was selected as the men's indoor track and field coach of the year for the Big Ten. Nuttycombe has won the award four staight years and 16 times in his career overall.  

Saturday Solinsky won the 3,000-meter race in 7:54.73. Sunday, the junior returned to win the 5,000-meter race in 13:51.34. Both times were meet records and automatic NCAA qualifying marks. 

Sophomore men's tennis player Jeremy Sonkin picked up his second consecutive Big Ten athlete of the week honor yesterday. 

The Wheaton, Ill. native's honor was also the second of his career. It came after he helped UW sweep No. 75 Michigan State, helping Wisconsin to their first 2-0 Big Ten start since 1993. 

Sonkin defeated No. 77 Nick Rinks 6-3, 6-7 in No. 1 singles. Paired with sophomore Nolan Polley, Sonkin helped defeat the No. 41 doubles tandem of Rinks and Adam Monich as well.