St. Cloud looking to pile on struggling Badgers

It seems like only yesterday when the Badger men's hockey team was No. 1 in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association and No. 1 in the nation. Back then, it was not a question of whether they would win the conference, it was a question of by how much. However, times change, and apparently so have the WCHA standings.  

The Badgers' troubles started with the injury of star junior goalie Brian Elliott, and things spiraled downward from there. Minnesota has already locked up the No. 1 spot in the WCHA, while the Badgers sit in third, a mere one point behind Denver. 

With Denver playing well as of late, the Badgers will need to sweep St. Cloud this weekend in order to even have a chance of capturing the second spot in the WCHA. 

The last time Wisconsin faced the St. Cloud Huskies, in late October, the Badgers won 3-1 and tied 2-2. Of course, this is when UW was just beginning its incredible streak of wins'long before the troubles began. This time around, the Badgers are the ones who have something to prove. The Huskies, currently tied for fifth with North Dakota, would undoubtedly love to knock Wisconsin down a spot in the WCHA and score some points for themselves going into the upcoming conference tournament. Thankfully, Badger head coach Mike Eaves believes the team is well prepared for the challenge they will face this weekend. 

'The guys are very much aware of the importance of these two games. St. Cloud state is a tough team who works hard. Their guys are going to come in here and work hard and try to steal some points in the standings,' Eaves said. 

For the Badgers, whether or not this weekend is a success will depend on goaltending. Last weekend, Wisconsin let in a total of 13 goals, losing to Minnesota State (6-4 and 7-3). Elliott appeared healthy, but he was apparently a little rusty, as Shane Connelly replaced him halfway through the second game. As of right now, Eaves is still uncertain of which goaltender will be in net for Friday's game. 

'I don't know [who I'll start in goal Friday night] yet, to be real honest with you. I think we'll take another look at tomorrow's practice. I thought Shane [Connelly] looked very good today, and at times Brian looked very good, so I think we're going to give them another day here,' Eaves said. 

Although the Badgers have been less than stellar recently, players are still hopeful and expecting things to turn around. During practice this week, the team has gone back to the basics and increased the energy level with the knowledge that the season will soon be at an end. Senior forward and team captain Adam Burish is optimistic about the coming games against St. Cloud. 

'Practice has been awesome this week, everything's picked up, the energy level; the crispness of practice, how sharp the guys have been. Everything's been great, so hopefully that's going to lead to a turnaround here,' Eaves said.  

For Eaves, the Badger's recent troubles on the ice are just a part of the ups and downs of any season. 

'Every good team has hiccups, you know Minnesota had their hiccup earlier in the year, and now we're having ours, and we just need to work to get past it,' Eaves said.