Spring training just in time(table)

Not everyone can experience the fun and challenge of fantasy football or baseball. I was ranked in the top 300 nationally for playing fantasy Survivor\ a few years ago, but I missed one episode and fell out of the ranks. However, freshman year I found something even better than religiously following reality programs: the timetable. Spending late nights up with the timetable, or ""tabling"" as the pros call it, provides hours of fun and entertainment. I've found myself making dream schedules in the wee hours of the morning, picking out ideal discussion times. But in reality, the game is a lot more hardcore than many would expect. These next few weeks, before anyone can register, are like spring training for pro-tablers, often called March Madness. We pour over the courses, noting open seats and crafting backup and even more fallback schedules for the big day. When registration days and times are e-mailed the races are set. High fives are expressed to the lucky ones who are fortunate enough to get a 4:30 p.m. time; consolation hugs are shared with the early risers. But we don't sympathize too long. These circumstances are what we train for. If nothing else, tabling is the ultimate test of cerebral and physical fitness. You need to get your body fit for an online battle, keeping your dexterity up and your eyes alert. You can't just go into this nonchalantly.  

I like to wake up early on my registration day. I take a cursory look to make sure all of my classes are still there, then try to clear my head for the rest of the day. Tabling is a game of wits before anything else. In many ways it is akin to rock-paper-scissors. You need to keep your hands moving and outsmart the other person going against you, and like rock-paper-scissors, being a giant dork doesn't hurt either. Ten minutes before my time, I like to get in a good stretch, maybe eat a banana with some orange juice. After my fuel up, I throw a sweatband on and get ready to rumble with the best of them. Schedule and backup schedule at my side, I test out my Internet. I check the reload times on my Safari, Netscape and Internet Explorer windows for the fastest one. Draft day is not the day you want your equipment to fail on you. I also make sure my wireless is getting a good signal, or better yet I plug back into the wall. I don't want to risk not having class on Friday because neighbors finally decided to password protect themselves. Once I am in the zone and my equipment is ready, I wait, knuckles sufficiently cracked and eyes at the ready. After hitting refresh numerous times, I succeed. I input the necessary numbers as fast as possible, trying to get my first choice picks in. My fingers type feverishly and the sweatband collects the evidence of my exhilaration. Five minutes later, the groundwork has been laid. I take a cool-down walk around my room and do a debriefing. But it is here where the game really starts. Now the gloves come off, there is backstabbing, sleepless nights by the computer and late summer course additions to drive everyone crazy. Tabling is cut-throat and only a few of us have taken this call to greatness. But for those of us who do, the rewards are plentiful: fame, valor and classes just two days a week. Can you save Erin a spot in Badminton 100? E-mail her at erincanty8285@hotmail.com\