Lapidus vows to start new student government

Fueled by anger over Wednesday's botched Associated Students of Madison election, a group of students declared their intent to start a new student government late Wednesday night. 

Citing evident corruption and general incompetence\ among other grievances against ASM, the group of students, including UW-Madison freshman and Dane County Board candidate David Lapidus , said they plan to meet tonight at the Rathskellar to formulate the new government. 

The movement germinated from a meeting between Lapidus and UW-Madison students, senior Steve Schwerbel and freshman Sol Grosskopf, according to Schwerbel.  

""The system is so sluggish right now, and so riddled with corruption, and has made so many resumé-padding hacks dependent on the system that there's no incentive to change,"" Schwerbel said. 

ASM chair and UW-Madison senior Eric Varney said the movement would need signatures from 10 percent of the student body to get a new student government proposal put on the ballot. If the new government wins by a two-thirds majority, ASM will be forced to disband, but only if 10 percent of the student body votes.  

Varney said the movement was not likely to succeed and said he felt affronted by the charges of corruption.  

""It sounds like certain groups are getting money and some people are upset about that,"" Varney said. ""There's no justification for making a statement like that."" 

\