City begins preparations for Mifflin, date to be finalized tonight

Tonight the city council will likely pass a no glass\ ordinance for April 29 and will soon set aside an overtime police force for the same day, effectively designating the date for the annual Mifflin Street Block Party.  

The traditional date is the first Saturday in May. However, in 2005 an overlap with UW-Madison final exams pushed the party to the last Saturday in April. The change cost the city thousands in overtime pay already guaranteed to police for the traditional date. 

Tonight, the council looks to renew the ordinance and decide on a date for a party that does not officially exist. 

Ald. Austin King, District 8, said the ""no glass"" ordinance is as close as the city gets to recognizing the party. 

The Mifflin Street Block party originated in 1969 as a protest of the Vietnam War and has since evolved into a student social event before finals. 

""It's the last chance for students to blow off steam before buckling down for their final exams and papers,"" said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.  

The city has begun to prepare for the event and is working with the student organizations. 

""There will always be some tension there,"" said George Twigg, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz. ""But keeping the lines of communication open can help make for a stronger relationship between the city and groups like ASM."" 

However, some members of the city council such as Ald. Paul Skidmore, District 9, are opposed to the party. 

""Right now it is a very large private party that involves a lot of alcohol,"" Skidmore said. ""Safety is provided at public expense, and that really bothers me."" 

But Skidmore approved of plans to set a fixed date for the party in order to avoid potential conflicts.  

""Last year, there was an expectation that this specific event would happen on a specific weekend and then the students said: ‘Oops, there are some problems with finals. We are going to have it on a different weekend,'"" Skidmore said. 

Over 110 police officers are on duty for the event every year, according to Police Public Information Officer Mike Hanson.  

Hanson said police have little control over when the party occurs but added that they bear much of the responsibility for maintaining order. 

""The people that determine whether or not there is a Mifflin Street are not in the business of law enforcement,"" Hanson said. ""We can't dictate what events we are going to have and not going to have. We step up to the call to provide service.""\