Woods ’Ames’ for weekend tourney title

I spent nearly all summer playing golf. Sure, I had a job at a restaurant, but I worked nights. That meant I was a twentysomething guy with a decent amount of disposable income stranded in Hayward, Wis. for three of the nicest months of the year. I decided to play a lot of golf.  

I wasn't alone, however. Although I did sneak on by myself a few times, my friend and I played a countless amount of matches, and all in all it was pretty even. I'd like to think that yours truly took the crown at the end of the summer, but it's more likely that Kyle and I split the title of Hayward Golf King. Despite the tight level of play, however, I took a beating on the course once or twice, but only once or twice, and the favor was returned, let me tell you. 

Which leads me to Wednesday.Stephen Ames, I feel for you, man. Wednesday, Ames was shellacked by Tiger Woods in the Accenture Match Play Championship. Woods, who apparently had a more pressing engagement, defeated Ames in the minimum 10 holes and advanced to the second round feeling like he hardly even left the driving range. Meanwhile, in a textbook display of parity, Scott Verplank played a record 26 holes before he managed to best his first-round opponent, Lee Westwood. 

Such is match play. 

What makes match play exciting is the fact that really any player has a chance at an upset. Each hole is a blank sheet, a new opportunity to work with. Upsets happen all the time, and golfers can advance with scores that boggle the mind, be they impressive or embarrassing.  

Take, for example, Colin Montgomerie, Scotland's favorite underdog since William Wallace. Monty shot a 77 and just squeaked by Niclas Fasth Wednesday, while Paul Casey fired a 68 and lost by one hole to Henrik Stenson. 

Honestly, I can't decide which performance is more remarkable.  

Sure, the knee-jerk reaction is to go with Tiger's utter vanquishing of Ames, but to be neck and neck for over six hours of golf would be a rather exciting time as well. While I feel bad that Casey played an excellent round and had to pack his bags for home, the name of the game is to defeat your opponent and that's what Monty was able to do. 

It's a different aspect of golf. Only on Championship Sundays'and most times not even then'does the audience see a one-on-one match up.  

Here, in match play, one on one is the rule rather than the exception. Thursday, the field of 64 was narrowed to 32, and Tiger again pressed on. This time, however, without the assuredness of his first-round win.  

Woods defeated eighth-seed Robert Alenby by only one hole. It may be a stumble for Woods, but the rest of the tournament sizes up nicely for the Stanford man. David Toms, Tom Lehman and Chad Campbell are the only players left in Woods' bracket, and with Ernie Els making an early exit, the track is open to see Woods, Vijay Singh, Phil Mickleson or even Retief Goosen in any sort of combination. 

So start thinking of summer. Watch some golf, pray for spring and start curing your slice now. I know I'm already trying, even though chances are I'll still be heading straight for the lumberyard when I leave the tee box.