Who spends more for Valentine’s day, guys or gals?

Some say Saint Valentine was a priest who performed secret weddings after marriage was outlawed in third century Rome. Others say he sent the first 'valentine' to a young girl while he was in prison. However the tradition started, it has since evolved into one of the most commercialized holidays of the year. 

The average consumer will spend more than $100 this Valentine's Day, according to the National Retail Federation 2006 Valentine's Day Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey. Up slightly from last year, this money will more than likely be spent on traditional gifts such as cards, candy, flowers and romantic nights out. 

Assistant Professor Michelle Nelson, who studies consumer behavior in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, said consumers (especially men) feel pressure to 'buy, buy, buy' on this holiday and that 'the trend is toward more commercialization' in the future. 

Men certainly do seem to feel a greater pressure to purchase gifts, or at least more costly ones, than do women. According to the National Retail Federation survey, the average man will spend nearly twice as much as the average woman on Valentine's Day gifts this year. UW-Madison senior Kyle Miller says he usually spends more than his girlfriend and always buys her roses, with one dozen costing anywhere from $30 to more than $100. 

Although men seem to have the monetary raw end of the deal when it comes to gift giving, Valentine's Day often poses an equal challenge to those with a male partner. Jewelry and teddy bears are usually reserved for girlfriends, and stores like Gap do not even offer 'Valentine's Day styles' for men on their website. 

'In terms of what's out there as gifts for Valentine's Day, I think they're very directed to females and what a girlfriend would like to receive,' UW-Madison senior Audra Blackburn said. 'Unless you go that same route with a guy, I feel like you have to be a little more creative or not really stick with the standard Valentine's Day gift.' 

However, some couples would simply rather show their affection with more creative, and often less expensive gifts. Blackburn and her boyfriend have set a $20 limit this year and are trying to avoid giving predictable presents. 

'I think Valentine's Day is a good excuse to do the whole flowers and candy thing, but I'd be insulted with a generic gift,' Blackburn said. 'I also like creativity.' 

Ultimately, its up to each one of us to decide how much we will be swept up by the spirit and the marketing of the holiday. Miller and Blackburn both agreed that Valentine's Day promotions, although everywhere, are not any worse than other heavily-commercialized holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

'I feel like the decorations come out just as early as any other holiday's decorations do,' Blackburn said. 

Miller, on the other hand, said he thinks the marketing of other holidays is much more extensive. 

'Personally, I don't think it is nearly as bad as many of the other [holidays],' he said.