Pond rock in Madison

Negotiating the territory between Death Cab for Cutie's mellow melodicism and The Cure's sense of wounded sensitivity is no easy task, but matt pond PA is a band up to the challenge. Tonight they play Madison, opening for The New Pornographers, but first Matt Pond had a chat with The Daily Cardinal. 

The Daily Cardinal: In the first song off your latest album 'Halloween' you say, 'Seems like it always seems / where I go I want to leave.' Describe what made you write that? 

Matt Pond: Most parties [are so] middle-of-the-road, especially Halloween, where you dress up in a stupid outfit and you're just sitting there. When there's that element of expectation versus reality, and reality just doesn't meet up to your expectations. ... That's why touring is great, you don't even have time to have expectations, that's why I really do love it.  

DC: What originally made you get into music? Is this something you've wanted to do since you were a kid? 

MP: Never. My mom forced me to play music when I was a little kid and then I was never going to do it again. I was planning on being a history professor and never played music consistently until, like, 18, and it was a very closeted thing'it was not for anyone to hear. And somehow I just fell into it: never planned, never wanted to do it, I mean, I love it more than anything, but it wasn't the dream.  

DC: What was it that made you want to be a history professor? 

MP: I guess I like all that wood paneling and the tweed jackets. ... I'm not a calm person so I gravitate toward calm situations and then [now that I'm in a band], all the sudden it's like, 'Oh, I'm in the least calm situation of them all.' 

DC: In a lot of your songs you talk about feeling disconnected from other people. Where does that come from? 

MP: I don't think I've ever had a lack of friends, or have ever been completely alienated or isolated, but I think I find people frustrating. There should be some kind of criteria for living up to a higher standard. People are generally apathetic, they can be lazy, and when they're out for themselves, it's like these are things you just have to accept almost, but they're actually unacceptable.  

DC: If you had to mention a few things that make you love life, what would they be? 

MP: That's a funny thing, because it's the same exact things in life that I love: spending time with people, meeting people and becoming really good friends with people and staying friends with them, that's excellent. Everything's connected [in that way]: I love my mom, but she drives me crazy. It's like that. I love music, and it's so frustrating to play music, but at the same time it's the most rewarding thing. I think maybe I think too much, but I think maybe everybody does that. I'm eventually looking forward to farming and relaxing.  

DC: Your music is very calm and mellow. Do you think you play that kind of music as a way of seeking calm?  

MP: When we play live, we're not calm. I don't know if it calms me down, I know I need calm, but I love letting off a little steam.