Accusations abound over gay marriage

With the state Assembly poised to take final action Tuesday on whether to allow a constitutional amendment explicitly defining marriage between one man and one woman, critics warn of ulterior political motives spurring on the legislation. 

State Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, said he thought the gay marriage legislation was a politically manufactured attempt by Republicans to galvanize the conservative base and increase voter turnout in the November 2006 elections. 

'I think it is absolutely a political ploy because if it were not, they wouldn't be putting it on the November ballot,' he said. 'Originally, they thought this legislation needed to be enacted as soon as possible in order to stop activist judges from legalizing gay marriage. If there was such a rush to do that, this could have been on the spring ballot.' 

Mike Prentiss, spokesperson for state Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, said claims made to undercut the amendment and make it seem like a political strategy to increase Republican voter turnout in the November elections are inaccurate. 

'When this idea came forward it was not designed first and foremost to affect the 2006 race for governor,' Prentiss said. 'It was designed to put in place, in the constitution, protection of the definition of marriage that Wisconsin voters want and has been on the books statutorily in Wisconsin for years.' 

He said those in opposition may be worried about the historical success constitutional amendments have had in other states. 

'Frankly, I think the opponents of it are somewhat scared of the effect it might have in the governor's or other races on the ballot in November because of what we've seen in other states where similar amendments have been put to the people,' Prentiss said. 

Julaine Appling, executive director of the Wisconsin Family Research Institute of Wisconsin, said it is not surprising opponents of the amendment are criticizing their more conservative counterparts.  

'If [Republicans] have chosen to use it for political purposes, that's their choice. I don't personally think that's the whole motivation behind this,' Appling said. 'It doesn't surprise me at all that those opposed to the amendment have said that, at this point, this is a political issue and it's coming down to the very final legislative action.'  

Appling said her organization has encouraged this type of legislation for a while. 

'We wanted this as soon as possible,' she said. 'I told the Legislature that if you hold it, you're taking a calculated risk. I hope you calculate accurately.'