New courses to explore politics, vampire folklore

UW-Madison is offering new international studies courses this spring semester, including Literature in Translation 248, 'The Vampire in Literature and Film.' 

'The course examines the development of the legends of the vampire, starting from folklore, then moving on to literature and then to cinema,' said Toma Longinovic, a professor of Slavic language and the instructor of the course. 

'We historically follow the development of the vampire from sort of this animalistic, horrible creature into this tall, seductive, dark and mysterious figure,' he said. 

Longinovic said the vampire course has been very popular among students, and has gotten excellent feedback, especially considering this is the first semester it has been offered. 

'It's not even in the course catalog and it was closed within an hour,' he said.  

Students have shown such an interest in the course that Longinovic said he is hoping to open it up to larger enrollments in the near future so more students have an opportunity to take it.  

Another new course offered this semester is European Studies 804, 'The Politics of Green Voters and Consumers,' taught by professor Elizabeth Covington.  

Covington said the course is an unusual combination of two academic disciplines, consumer sciences and environmental sciences, which have obvious links in the real world. 

'The reason why students would be interested in the course are its links to political activism and social change,' Covington said. 

The course provides students with the opportunity to get more involved in the learning process. 

'The students, as a result of this course, have contact with some of the inner-workings of the agencies that are determining policies at a global level,' Covington said. 

Language and Culture of Asia 300, 'Introduction to the Middle East,' is another new international studies course offered this semester. 

'I am looking forward to presenting a different picture of the Middle East than what one might get from stereotypes,' said Uli Schamiloglu, the course's professor. 'It is an area that has its own rich cultural traditions and its own literature.'  

Schamiloglu said that the university is in the process of approving a new undergraduate certificate in Middle Eastern studies, and 'Introduction to the Middle East' will be considered the foundation to that. 

'I want to give students something really rich and textured that they can enjoy,' Schamiloglu said.